Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What do you think of this?

I am in high school. This school year, my family and I moved to a small town. The school here is very small, about 5-12 kids a class. Both of my parents work in the schools. My family is very close and open minded. When we moved here, we moved into a very cramped, crappy teacher trailer, for lack of any other place being open. The school said they would help us find a place, or get a new teacher place, but they have yet to do anything. In October, for a very brief time, my sisters and I moved back to our old town, because we felt as if we were being judged for not going to their church here. It's a long story, but because of circumstances, we had to come back. Things got better, but recently my family and I are noticing things. Firstly, I sit in history class everyday and listen to my classmates talk. They come off as very close minded, ignorant republicans, in a scary way. They will believe everything you tell them, and I think they think I'm weird for having more open minded ideas. Secondly, my sister and I are avid readers. We read everything. There are pretty much no readers here. Its like if they read a book outside of class, they'll be going against god. Half my class had never even heard of Hogwarts. I'm not saying they have to read Harry Potter, or even really know about it. But really, teens here are just not exposed to pop culture, like at all. Thirdly, there is not a lot of structure in the school. Rules are unclear, or unspoken of. They don't even have sex ed. A kid in my class asked what contraceptive was yesterday, and we're juniors. I'm just wondering if any of this sounds weird to the rest of the world. Sorry its so long, thank you if you have made it this far!

Favorite Answer

That is pretty weird, it's probably a trap for some kinds of people and then it became isolated, causing generation after generation to be raised exactly the same, when you finish highschool, I'd move out of that town as fast as you can so you don't spend the restof your life there and raise kids just as narrow minded as those around you.

Man, I live in a farming community in Western PA, and no one here is anywhere CLOSE to being that oblivious. Even the amish community around here spend a lot of time talking to the locals about sports and books. That is pretty strange, but I guess you just happen to live in one of the most stereotypical redneck villages I've ever heard of. My old town only had 300 people in it, but everyone knew about that stuff.

This does sound really weird and scary! I mean who doesnt know hogwarts or have sex Ed? I'd say, get out of their as fast as u can. It sounds like bad news.

People who come from those kinds of schools will probably have LOTS of trouble in the real world. I suggest trying to find somewhere better, if you can. If you can't, which is what it seems like, good luck.

Sounds like a private school or a catholic school

i love paulo coehlo however the quote is not very inspirational of direction when you lived an entire existence undertaking your targets you might die blissful and the folks might be crying at your funeral however to me it is simply pointing out the visible it is to cliche

Thanks for answering my question, sounds like a private school and kind of creepy to me ._.

• ?

too long