Should I explain in a cover letter?

I'm looking to get a political internship this summer. However, I don't have much political experience. Politics is what I want to do as a career, and I'm 95% sure of that, but my resume doesn't reflect on that very well. The reason for this is that I only realized I wanted to get into politics about a year ago. I only moved to America two years ago and have had little exposure to politics in general, let alone American politics. But after living here for a year, I realized politics is really what I want to pursue. Because I only realized my passion recently, I don't have too much political things on my resume. I do have other--though unrelated but valuable--things on my resume.

In my cover letter, is it a good idea to explain the discretion? I want to show that politics is really what I want to pursue without sounding too much like a mere opportunist.

• WACO
    Favorite Answer

Google it. There is a lot of information on browsers.