Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Pride asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 years ago

I think weight lifting is making me slower.?

so this year i'm taking shot-put, we run sometimes, we do medicine ball training, some agility. But we lift everyday, squats, bench, everything. I didn't gain a lot of weight, about 2 pounds. I'm getting really worried because soccer season is close, and i'm kinda feeling slower. Is it true that lifting makes you slower? what exercises or things I can do to get faster? or just bring up my resistance?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago

Gaining a lot of mass will make you slow, but thats really not the case. Best thing for you to do is start doing some high intensity interval training or H.I.I.T. Pro soccer players do, do strength training such as squats, bench and such but you can mix that with some endurance exercises. Body weight squats mixed with burpees, box jumps, wind sprints will help get that explosive strength needed in sports. Keep your rests quick, training intense and workouts fun. I strength train m,w, and fri by following the stronglifts program, but after that i mix h.i.it with kettlebells and bodyweight exercise. Kicks my *** everytime. Have fun and train hard

• 9 years ago

I feel slow too since there isn't much cardio involve

i would still do some leg exercises like squads to get stronger

• 9 years ago

muscles contain both fast and slow twitch fibers. Regular weight training focuses more on slow twitch.

to develop fast twitch you need to do fast movements - best thing would be to google plyometrics and add these to alternate workouts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.