Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How do I get sharpie off a Gibson Les Paul Studio?

My younger brother wrote with a sharpie all over the sides of my guitar, how can I get it off without damaging the finish & the guitar itself?

I just wanted to make it clear that I'm not mad at him by the way. He didn't know what he was doing & I used to be just as bad when I was his age, I just don't want to see my guitar get ruined over a simple mistake.

Favorite Answer

spray it with WD-40 it will take the ink off

Source(s): old timer

Howdy Luis,

Removing the sharpie off shouldn't be a big problem if you had waxed it a few times a year.

If that is not the case you could use furniture polish and a micro fiber cloth. This method will ensure the finish will stay intact, however will take a bit longer than rubbing alcohol, but the rubbing alcohol could make the finish dull.

If you've already used the rubbing alcohol, make sure to clean and wax your Les Paul immediately. This will make the Gibson guitar finish as uniform as possible.

Note: never use rough cloth material or abrasive solvents as these will dull the finish.

Oh yeah...to solve this in the future there are guitar hangers or even keeping in the case can protect the guitar for decades to come.

Rock On!

Coach Dave

community.homedepot

Source(s): working for The Home Depot for over 18 years and playing guitar for 20 years.

Lysol will also work. If the ink has been on there for more than a few hours then acetone will clean it off but may take the finish off as well. BTW, Don't be too hard on your little brother because you may need his help someday, family is all you have.

call sharpie the may have a solution I would hate to see u damage that get videl

Cotton ball soaked in 90% pure Rubbing alcohol. Or you could just use alcohol wipes, like the kind the diabetics use before giving themselves shots.

• ?

Yeah. Its a fine peice of engineering. A good guitar. All depends on what you are being asked to pay for it as to whether its a good deal or not b