What other cars or trucks share the same engine with a 97 s10 4cyl 2.2liters?

I want to buy a spare engine

Favorite Answer

I have had a bunch of front wheel drive 2.2 cars and even saying that I am not sure if the different model years use all the same sensors. Because each year's engine computer ECM often is different. Sometimes they go a couple years with the same wiring layout and same proms and same ECM. The only way to know for sure is to use the salvage yard parts interchange manual. Because you want your spare to have all the same sensors etc. And you want your spare to have the same throttle body and the same injectors with the right pulse width etc etc. For example I can tell you with the GM 2.4 twin cam that in 95 it was batch injection, then in 96 it went to sequential injection and then it went to sequential injection and they added a cam position sensor that it never had. Maybe someone will write in that is an expert on the 2.2. Without the interchange manual information you will need a real expert to be sure or you will have to do a lot of homework to satisfy yourself.

From my own experience with the 2.2 I know that in 91 it was throttle body. In 92 it became multi port injection. then in like 94 they started to use roller lifters. all the motors look the same but there are real differences. and there are many different cooling system changes on the 2.2.

(Sorry if this is the obvious, but the 2.2 s10 is essentially the same motor as that used in Chevy Cavalier, Chevy Beretta, Chevy Corsica, POntiac sunbird. Thousands of them out there, super dependable, simple, pushrod, timing chain not belt motors.)

I do't think you can use one out of a front wheel drive version of it. Call a salvage yard. They have interchange info on every thing. But you should have no problem with any GM light truck variant. Like a little Blazer or Olds Bravada. :)

Source(s): Pro mechanic.
  • ken k

just about nothing/that truck has rear wheel drive and most other gms with that size engine are not/fwd will not fit

Source(s): used car dlr nj