Pain after removal of hardware from spinal fusion?

I had spinal fusion surgery earlier this year as I was diagnosed with Scheuermann's Disease, kyphosis, and scoliosis. A brace and several different kinds of therapy did not help with the severe pain I was feeling in the thoracic spine, so the fusion was necessary. 2 rods, several clamps, screws, and crossbars were used to correct vertebral wedging.

A few months later, the screws began compressing nerve root endings and therefore caused more severe pain and damage. I recently underwent another surgery to remove all hardware as my surgeon said it has served its purpose and is no longer needed. Though I know I will have pain from recovery, my spine is aching again and I am concerned that this may not be considered "recovery" pain. Does anyone know if this is a normal part of the healing process, or could there be something wrong yet again? Please don't answer if you aren't certified to; I am already paranoid and scared enough. I want to make sure that this is the last surgery I have to have. Thanks.

• Donnao
    Favorite Answer

I am surprised your doctor took the hardware out so soon. Most people do not fuse until a year or more after the surgery. I had a spinal fusion about 7 months ago and I am slowly getting less and less pain, I also still take medication and recently stopped going to PT.

Check out www.spine-health.com and ask your question there. More people will be able to relate to you and answer your questions than those on yahoo answers.

• imsety

See your health care provider as soon as possible (neurosurgeon), for consultation. In most cases, the fusion is augmented by a process called fixation, meaning the placement of metallic screws (pedicle screws often made from titanium), rods or plates, or cages to stabilize the vertebra to facilitate bone fusion. The fusion process typically takes 6-12 months after surgery. During this time external bracing (orthotics) may be required. External factors such as smoking, osteoporosis, certain medications, and heavy activity can prolong or even prevent the fusion process. If fusion does not occur, patients may require reoperation.

Some newer technologies are being introduced which avoid fusion and preserve spinal motion. Such procedures, such as artificial disc replacement, are being offered as alternatives to fusion.

See a doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment.

I hope this helps you. And good luck.