Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 9 years ago

Right Side Tailbone Pain ?

I was in a rear end collision about 3 months ago. Went through my chiro and he alleviated all my pains. About a week or 2 after that I woke up one morning with tailbone pain. It only hurts on my right side and after sitting in a car for over 5 minutes. If I sit on a chair I can sit there just fine, its only when Im leaning back while driving that it starts to hurt. After an hour or two the pain in my bone between my butt cheeks goes away. Did I fracture, break, or bruise my tailbone? Is it even my tailbone? Could it be sift tissue damage a pinched nerve? i went to my doctor and he did x rays but found nothing abnormal in them, He also put a finger in my rectum and found nothing. No cyst, no tumor, nothing, he has referred me to a orthopedist, but wanted to see if anyone might have an idea of what this could be. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

If you have bruised or broken your tailbone, it will take a while to heal. This kind if injury can be very painful.

Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When you do sit, use a hard chair and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Try to lean forward so your weight is not directly on your tailbone.

Apply an ice pack (a small package of frozen green peas works very well) to your tailbone area for 15-20 minutes, four times a day, for the first few days.

Use an appropriate anti-inflammatory pain medication if you need one.

You can buy one of those "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on - the ones with the hole in the middle so your tailbone does not touch the chair.

Eat foods high in fiber and drink plenty of fluids to soften stools because you really don't want to get constipated now - it would hurt a lot and cause you a lot of pain. You might also want to take a stool softener. You can buy them without a prescription at the drug store.

If these measures don't help you really should see your doctor. You might need a prescription for stronger pain relief for a while, or sometimes even surgery. Sometimes a cortisone injection is needed to help with the pain.

Read the information here.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/tailbone_coccyx_inj...

Another common cause of tailbone pain is a pilonidal cyst. Read about it here, and if you think you have one, see your doctor for appropriate treatment.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pilonidal_cyst/arti...

• Julie

Hi there! Degenerative disc disease is an insidious condition. What you are experiencing is the effects if the degeneration progressing. The reason that it is on the right side only, is that is the side where you have compression of one or more of the nerves. You do not necessarily have to have pain or discomfort down your leg. Your pain and discomfort is directly related to exactly where the nerve compression is occurring. My advice would be to seek out a doctor that specializes in disorders of the spine. I most definitely can empathize with you. I just went through spinal surgery with fusion of 5 vertebrae. This was after years of degeneration and also a structural problem. Go find the best doctor that you can, but do not let them jump to a surgical procedure. There are other treatments that they can try first. I hope that this has been helpful to you. Feel better soon and best of luck to you.

Fix Forward Head Posture Now!