Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Kelly asked in HealthOther - Health · 9 years ago

Nurse anesthetists please read!?

Hi! I'm looking at this career path but would like to know a bit more about it. Please answer some or all of these questions and feel free to add more info!

What does your schedule look like on a weekly and daily basis?

What are some pros and cons of this job?

Where did you go to college? For how long? (and any other details/advice about schooling)

How does this compare to being an anesthesiologist?

What are some common problems in your work?

Is it mostly math based?

Thank you!!!!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No nurse anesthetist can tell you how their job compares to that of an anesthesiologist, unless they go to medical school and become one. They don't know what they don't know. Nurse anesthetists do not have enough education to even apply to medical school, and a fully trained CRNA has done fewer cases than a first year anesthesia resident. There is a HUGE difference.

We, as anesthesiologists, frequently bail them out of trouble. They also get lunch breaks and go home on time, while the physicians stay to finish the cases.

Some of them are excellent, and keep the supervising physician informed, and take direction when necessary. Others think they know it all, and can be dangerous.

I no longer supervise nurses, but do all my own cases. I think the care I give is much better than that which most nurses can deliver.

I can also answer the math part. You need to know basic math, but giving anesthesia is far more complicated than just calculating dosages. If that was the case, any monkey could do it. It's a combination of clinical judgement, and a knowledge of the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of the drugs we use.

Source(s): I'm an anesthesiologist.
  • 9 years ago

To find out information about the profession, go to AANA.com and even better, <nurse-anesthesia.org>. NA.org has hundreds of threads about the entire process.

Ignore what the anesthesiologist says. He is denying the facts that nurse anesthetists can safely administer anesthesia and have done so for many years.

BTW, I love being a nurse anesthetist. It is absolutely the best profession there is. Continuing learning, one on one patient care, part of an amazing professional organization.

Yes, you do have to be proficient in math.

Source(s): aana.com nurse-anesthesia.org
  • guiga
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

being lady and a mom the 1st which you would be able to desire to evaluate is that with the intention to connect the protection rigidity in any branch you may provide up custody of your baby to a distinctive. and since the information permit you to comprehend in case you look and hear at times the custodial individual does no longer opt to furnish the youngster returned. and at times the courts enable them to maintain them. even although you're doing this to furnish the youngster a greater suited existence. your profession selection is a sturdy one and you may look into 2 issues. the 1st is all provides and loans and scholarships obtainable for this profession, and seek for universities on the fringe of the place you have encouragement from abode and help with the youngster. commence small even with basically an aide guidance, maximum employers will furnish money or matching money for greater guidance interior the sphere you're employed in. once you have finished or as you gain you objective evaluate working for the army as a civilian. yep they do have them. this provide you the activity you like without the will of hassle on your baby. and verify for commerce colleges specializing on your field. they provide a greater severe application of specialties for a shorter time in school via removal of all of the crap training that faculties and universities require.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.