Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is there a need for an after-market fan if you're not overclocking?

I'm building a computer for the first time, somewhere between moderate specs (for casual gaming) and penny-pinching.

I plan to buy an Intel Core i3-2100, will the stock fan be enough for general use? I figured it would be but I've had people tell me I should go ahead and buy an after-market one but if I won't need it then I'd like to save that $30-$50. I won't be overclocking it.

Probably the only game I'll be playing much of will be Starcraft II for the time being.

Thanks for your help.

Favorite Answer

The stock fan will be just fine.

• Mike

like the other poster said it will prolong the processor life. But how long do you plan to go without an upgrade? I can tell you right now by the time that thing dies from heat it will be an antique.

In short answer no you do not need to buy after market cooling, the stock fan will work just fine.

False economy a cooler like the cooler master hyper tx3 is like under $20 and far superior to the stock jobby, it will at least prolong the life of the processor