Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Which lenses will be best for me?

I'm looking into buying a Canon 7D very soon and I'm looking for advice to find the best lenses for me. I want lenses which are built to last and I won't grow out of them - so don't be afraid to suggest high end professional lenses as this is exactly what I am looking for. If you have any other suggestions for a good camera body, let me know.

The main photography I do is wildlife photography so I'm looking into buying a good quality Macro lens for around 1500GBP.. Can anyone suggest one or what specifications to look for in a lens for this purpose?

I'm also venturing into creative portraiture so I'm wanting a separate lens for this for a similar price as the Macro lens. I've heard telephoto lenses are good for photographing people but can anyone link me to images taken with a telephoto lens to have a look? Would it be worth getting a Normal lens as well?

Thanks, any extra advice will be perfect - thank you!

• sagara
    Favorite Answer

anything from canon's "L" range will be perfect for you.

This website has a very nice range of review and information for you to read.

the-digital-picture.com

For wildlife, I suggest the

Canon 200-400mm f/4

or a prime lens depending on the focal length you need. But the 200-400 will provide a little more versatility

The 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II L

is one of Canon's most popular lenses. It is also one of their best. if the focal length is good for your style of wildlife, it is good. For some wild-life, it might be too short. It is also very good for portrait work.

Canon 135mm f/2 is the ideal lens for portrait work. But there are some compromises. the 70-200 offers more versatility with 99% of the quality.

Canon 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro is one of Canon's best macro lenses. It can also be used for great portraits in a pinch.

For a more general purpose lens, i.e. environmental portraits.

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L

Each of these lenses has sample pictures on the website i mentioned above (and I'll mention bellow) they also have some iso charts to quanitfy the optical performance of each lens.

www.the-digital-picture.com

i guess it would be an "L" lens . . .