Kristina asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

How do I train my puppy to go on wee-wee pads?

I really do not want my dog going to the bathroom on weewee pads..BUT because my puppy is only 1.9 pounds the vet and breeder do not suggest she goes outside in the cold. I have a weewee pad in the kitchen, and spray it with some stuff I got that is supposed to make her realize that is where she goes to the bathroom. She was doing good with it the first few days until today. It's as if now she looks at the throw rug in the living room as a giant wee wee pad. I do not leave her unsupervised, but she squats and pees quicker than I can scream "NO!" Is there any tips that anyone has that is a good way to get her to realize she needs to use the weewee pad? As of today I started giving her a piece of chicken after she used the weewee pad and praising her for her success. This has only happened once today, and at least 7 times on the rug =/

• Favorite Answer

I had to remove all rugs and mats until my pup had definitely trained to use them :) And I trained her to use them by putting the pad where she was pee'ing and gradually moved the pads to where I wanted her to wee - which for me was outside - it took time, patience and praising but we got there :)

Try to notice any signs that she does before she goes on the rug, and if she does a sign take her to the wee-wee pad. The chicken idea is also a good idea and she will learn if I go on here then i get a yummy snack.

Your pup doesn't know the difference between those horrible piddle pads, and your floors/carpets. You are teaching the pup that it's okay to use the house as a toilet. Your pup isn't going to die from going out in the cold.

LADY STANG is there a reason that you can't write complete sentences?

pads only teach to use house to me

put a sweater on dog, leash and take out and train (another reason to get dog in good weather)

keep on leash in house, supervise and take out

crate when you can't supervise, no more than 2 hours at a time

best way is to piss on it your self. my dog loves to hike his leg where i have just pissed.