Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesSan Diego · 9 years ago

Im moving to San Diego?

Im moving to San Diego in April, and was wondering which areas are convinient, affordable for me (800-900 for rent). I dont drive so i sort of want to be in the city not on the outskirts. Which areas should i check out when my bf and I go down to look at the area next month?

• Joe C
    Favorite Answer

Without a car you options are limited, especially for your budget. You really need a car to live in So Cal. Unless you are on the trolley line, you'll spend hours trying to get around. A nice 1 br will run you $1500-$2000. $800 will be a dump in the barrio.

Here is a quick summary of some of the areas in the city of San Diego. La Jolla and Scripps Ranch are upscale and wealthy. The nice middle class areas of town are Pacific Beach, Tierrasanta, Clairemont, University City, and Mira Mesa. Pacific Beach is a mixture of apartments with college students and young professionals, and single family homes. If you can afford it, it's one of the best places to live in the city. University City is near La Jolla and UCSD and is mostly upscale professionals. Clairemont is middle class single family homes and has a lot of military families living there. Mira Mesa has a large Asian population. Hillcrest is the center of the gay community. Mission Valley is young professionals and almost all condos and apartments. Ocean Beach is a lot of druggies, hippies, and beach bums. Mission Beach is the seasonal rental party animal types. Point Loma is a lot of retired military. The College Area is near San Diego State on the eastern edge of the city. Linda Vista is lower middle class and ethnically mixed.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/neighborhoods/p...

In general, the farther south you go (closer to the border), the lower the property values. IMO you want to live north of I-8 and west of I-15. There are also nice bedroom communities along the I-15 corridor, such as Poway, Ranch Penasquitos and Rancho Bernardo.

I live in Carmel valley, it is a great community and rather new, modern, normall people live there, haha. It is a bit expensive and about 20mins from downtown but it is a great place to live ( and it is near del mar beach)