Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 9 years ago

Is it bad to eat meat "once"?

ive been clear of meat for awhile now.But my mom forced me to eat something with meat in it, since i haven't been eating any.she disapproves of me being a vegetarian.(im 14) anyways ill just lie to her & say i do at school & see if that works, but im i still vegetarian if i ate meat? i dont ever plan to eat meat ever again.

• Kerry
    Favorite Answer

No. It is not. People do not die from eating meat.

You are whatever you want to call yourself.

• Suzy Q

You are still a vegetarian. It's a dietary choice, not a badge.

Don't lie to your mom, that never works in the long run. She will never buy that you, who want to be a vegetarian, are eating meat when out of her sight and not eating meat while under her eyes.

Find out WHY your mother is against you being a vegetarian (inconvenient for her? your health?) and fix whatever is the problem. Start cooking your own meals, or do your research on how to stay healthy and show your mom,k that sort of thing.

Why does she disapprove?

If she mistakenly believes it is unhealthy, show her this:

"It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes. A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat (including fowl) or seafood, or products containing those foods.This article reviews the current data related to key nutrients for vegetarians including protein, n-3 fatty acids, iron, zinc, iodine, calcium, and vitamins D and B-12. A vegetarian diet can meet current recommendations for all of these nutrients." - Craig and Mangels (2009). Position of the American Dietetic Association: vegetarian diets. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009 Jul;109(7):1266-82- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864/

Make sure you show her the source and not just this answer. If she still thinks it is unhealthy, ask her what it is she thinks she knows that professional dieticians at the American Dietetic Association do not.

If it is not a health issue she is concerned about, then she has no reason to disrespect your decision. Cook your own food if you have to. Some parents have control issues and are unable to accept that their children are no longer the helpless babies they gave birth to, they cannot fathom how you can think for yourself etc. Some parents would go as far as hiding meat in food and telling a child it is vegetarian. So cook your own food and show her you are taking responsibility for your diet.

• Fallon

It is not too late! Yes, you did break your vegetarian diet, but it is ok. Just talk to your mom about it, and tell her the reasons you have chosen not to eat meat. You could even try to convince her to buy some faux meat, which is almost exactly like real meat. Don't feel bad because she made you eat it. Almost everyone breaks their diet sometimes. My weakness is cheese, but i'm not supposed to eat it because I am a vegan. So the only times I eat it is on my birthday, and it is wonderful! :) Shh... don't tell.

No it's not. And more importantly, being a vegetarian is not harmful for your health. It is actually in most cases healthier, not to mention infinitely better for the environment. There are numerous studies that link animal protein to many forms of cancer. While you can be healthy as a non vegetarian, vegetarians are also very healthy as long as you know what you are doing and what food groups to eat.

• Your mom should respect your decision you have made a choice good for you, the planet, and the animals. tell her to go on youtube and watch "meet your meat" and also show her this (copy+paste)-

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/slaughterhou...

(Yes I know it specifies vegans, sorry!)

And this -

http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/environment....

Good luck !

btw the way I know what it is like , having a mom that does NOT understand your decision. I am recently vegan (I became vegan the day before Thanksgiving, convenient, huh?) Me and my mom have been having some pretty nasty fights lately. Just tell her, I love you, but you can't change my decision.

Source(s): vegan

No you are not a vegetarian if you are eating meat. You need to stand up for yourself and tell her straight up that you disapprove eating meat so your not gonna eat it. I mean what is she gonna do? Ground you for not eating meat?

I ONLY just became a vegetarian, so I've been eating meat my whole life :S now i'm one. So I think you still are. My mum's the same.. HATES the idea of me being one. But I don't care.

• jen

You are going to lie to the Woman who gave birth to you? Do you have any idea (of course you don't), on the struggles most Women have giving birth? Lying is so lame. I bet you your Mum was brought up on meat and potatoes.

• ?

You shouldn't lie to your mom and say you eat meat at school if you don't. That's not necessary and soon you'll wind yourself into a trail of lies you realize, I hope. Plus your mother is a wise woman. Being a vegetarian is harmful for your health. Even eating nuts or peanut butter or rice and beans, you still don't get enough daily protein that growing bodies need. We as humans were born to eat meat. Without doing so animals would overpopulate us. We didn't make our way to the top of the food chain to eat carrots.

No.Tell your mom to respect your decision.I'm thirteen and had that problem.Eating meat makes you non-vegetarian.