Riot asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Have searched & asked, but no info forthcoming, is my dog pregnant?

I have champion bred Labradors, (multiple titles on both sides of lineage for each). They are being line bred, because of the quality of the lineage purchased from a professional breeder. Both are certified in the NUMEROUS areas that it needs to be done in, hips & heart among the few. Both are registered & old enough. My dam is 2 yrs and the sire is 15 mons. He is a little young, but he is such good stock, that we couldn't resist. I am new to breeding, but am doing it by the book and excited to better the breed as I think these two will. The male is the apple of my eye! I really can't wait to see the puppies these two produce. We go to the vet, but our apt is next week. Too far!

Here is the problem. She started her pre estrus on the 15th of Nov. it seemed she started her estrus cycle on T Day. Unfortunately, I have an 87 year old grandmother that we had to visit, so we left the babies in care of a babysitter. Unfortunately again, she wasn't able to stay over every single night. I came home right after T Day, making the trip as short as possible. On T Day, my sire started going bat crazy for the dam. Signaling the next stage of her cycle, correct?

For the next week and possibly due to him being younger, she was never accepting. She wouldn't stand. At the end of the week, I did see her flag a few times, but never penetration. She would flag, he'd go too high and then she would sit. I left them free at night with no problems, so I am unaware if the two tied then.

Because of her lack of acceptance, his lack of ability, her lack of standing - I assumed that they did not mate. In my research, I read that sometimes females are not accepting until after their first litter. Hm! It just didn't seem to work out and I didn't want to force her.

It's now Jan 10th. With calculations she could be 5 weeks pregnant, a late mated 4 weeks, or an early mated 6 weeks.

Her nipples have grown and grown. They sag about an inch to two inches and is most definitely a handful when held. But could that be from a false pregnancy or just from the heat itself?

I am questioning a pregnancy because she has gained quite a bit of weight in the past month. Her back, especially by her rib cage is wider. I've read that large breed dogs sometimes carry there and their rib cages do broaden. So she is heavier, with saggy nipples. With a tiny faint bulge, under her ribs, where you would expect.

On top of that her temperament has changed significantly! It's the first thing I noticed. One of her favorite activities was to chase me around with the vacuum cleaner. Crazily (& most frustratingly) it was her favorite toy. She now runs and hides from it. She runs and hides from everything! She used to be so brazen, fearless, undisturbed by anything and now it's like she's always running to her kennel to hide. She was never very dominant before, but now she is mounting my stud and others. She "talks" more, seems upset more. Often sits and makes a low noise that almost sounds like rolling the spanish R. She's changed.

Her stomach isn't distended or hardened AT ALL. Seems flat where her nipples are & squishy. Could possibly be too early for that and I know not all dogs do, but it seems like she should be a lHer gums don't look any less pink. We have a stethoscope, but all I hear is gurgling and weird random thumps. At one point, I did hear a steady heart beat, but sounded too slow for a pup.

Her nipples don't seem any "harder" than usual. Just bigger & saggier.

Her vuvlva did look swollen before Xmas, but that could have just been the diestrus stage. Looking at it now, its definitely "thick", but doesn't look swollen. I cant remember what it looked like pre heat though. A week ago, I found light colored, faded-ish pink stains on her bedding, but no clear mucus like substance.

I also tried palpitations, but felt no walnut shaped balls. At one point, while she was sprawled on her back, I felt a lump in her abdomen that was much larger than a walnut size. Finger length and completely solid, flat, but curved downwards at both ends. Was it a part of her body or a pup?

I am desperately trying to figure it out now! I take them on 2 mile bike rides and want to hold off if she is, but if not, not keep her from that joy. Plus, if she is, I want to start her on a preggo diet. If she is just gaining weight, I don't want to add to it!

The things we do will change if she is pregnant and a week away get appointment is too far. Nothing can be done.

Please help!

I spell checked 4 times with the website and self checked, plus have auto correct on, on my iPad - but this still some how slipped past:

"Her stomach isn't distended or hardened AT ALL. Seems flat where her nipples are & squishy. Could possibly be too early for that and I know not all dogs do, but it seems like she should be a lHer gums don't look any less pink"

Ment to say ; it seems like she should be slightly distended or hardened. Not the flat look her stomach has!

Favorite Answer

Typically, a dam will begin to "show" around the 5th week. Like you described, it begins in the rib cage areaand over the next 4 weeks, will descend into her abdomen. Palpating is difficult and often not accurate. Especially at this stage. False pregnancies normally occur only if the dam has been bred in the past. Chances are, they may have tied. Behavioral changes are normal in pregnancies and false pregnancies. False pregnancies can be very short or they can carry out for months. However, if she has not bred before, her nipples should not be changing to accomodate nursing. Hence, her body has not whelped or nursed before to understand this hormonal change. The last week of her pregnancy, you should be able to feel her puppies moving inside her and even see them at times when she's laying down. The only way to know for sure if she is pregnant at this stage is to have the vet do a radiograph/ultrasound to determine how many skeletons are forming inside her. I though would not worry. You have only 2 to 3 more weeks left before you will be able to see for yourself she is positively pregnant. Also, in terms of mounting... Some dams are just like that. If on the next breeding she is exhibiting the same inacceptance, hook her to a b**** pole. With her unable to move away from him, he's more able to grasp his footing and mount her successfully. Also, sometimes they prefer to have their alone time when in mating. They do best when no one is around to watch or hear them. Sounds funny but it is true. The b**** pole though works best. Basically, the female is harnessed to a structure to where she can move a little side to side but cannot scurry away. The male takes this opportunity to bite and mount the dam. At which that point, she's usually engaged and will allow him to do so. Lameness in the male is often a reason females will not accept. Therefore the b-pole allows the male to present himself more forcefully thus convincing the female to remain in position. You will know in the future if they tie. They never do so quietly.

Source(s): Adding this for the "know-it-all" people. Health clearances can begin when a dog is still a puppy! When a radiograph is taken of the hips, they simply look for a closed socket or one with space or deformities. A dog can be tested at 15 months of age and have obviously outstanding hips. However, OFA or Penn will not accept an official on record, on microchip clearance until the dog is "full grown" per the breed. Also, champion sired or mothered history usually includes generations of dogs who have been genetically tested and cleared. As he stated, line breeding... AKA proven blood.

Your best bet is to have your dog ultrasounded by your vet. At 35 days, puppies will show up on an ultrasound quite easily. We cannot tell you as we cannot see your dog. What you are describing could be a false pregnancy. You can still exercise her for a couple more weeks without doing damage. You really do not need to worry about increasing her food until after she whelps if she is pregnant. Feeding her a lot now will most likely make her fat. Overweight dogs have more potential for having whelping problems. She will not need extra calories until after the litter is born.

If she is not pregnant, it's not a big deal. Just breed her on the next heat cycle. Some dogs have to be AI'ed. So talk to your vet about that. Also find a good mentor. You can only learn so much by reading books. A good mentor can really help you because she will have some practical experience. A mentor really doesn't have to be a person that breeds labs (although that's best) but it can be a successful breeder that has good dogs.

I'm going to assume here that you had your dog Pennhipped and not OFA'ed. A a dog cannot be issued an OFA number until it's at least 2 years of age. Hopefully you have had the eyes CERF'ed thyroid tested and the elbows cleared of dysplasia on both of the parents.

Source(s): old balanced trainer

If you aren't comfortable with the dogs, then there is nothing you can do overnight to change that. If you are nervous, uncomfortable, or anxious, your energy will reflect in the dogs, and it will make things harder for everyone. If these dogs are as bad as they sound, then they will band together and gang up on you (not necessarily in a physical way, but they will probably sense your discomfort and take advantage of it). I don't think its a good idea. Advise your friend that if he loves his dogs so much, then the best thing he can do for them is get them TRAINED, so that next time he needs help, you might be more comfortable. He's got a huge liability on his hands, as it appears he has no control over these dogs, and if I were you, I'd stay away until he smartens up a bit. If he doesn't want to use a kennel (understandable), then another good option would be to contact some professional trainers in the area and see if one of them can board the dogs, and do some training with them while they are there. A lot of trainers will do this and it is actually a very good idea for dogs who have serious behavioural or aggression issues.

"Both are certified in the NUMEROUS areas "

No they're not. Hips can't be done until 2 years of age. So no, you're NOT doing it by the book.

You just left them together at night, with no supervision??? Wow.

You don't have a clue if they tied or even bred. You apparently believe stupid things like "sometimes females are not accepting until after their first litter". You have no idea what you are doing, and I doubt that you are going to ever have "very good puppies" because you are doing the cheap Backyard Breeder trick of breeding your own dog to your own female, rather than looking for the very best stud you can find.

Take your dog to the vet. No one here can tell you if she's pregnant even if we wanted to. But then, you don't know that *either*....

• I would definitely give this a 7 for creativity.

Where you messed up in the credibility department was in stating all health clearances were done.

You see, you can not clear hips and elbows until after 24 months.

What you can do is rewrite the question and try again so its more believable.

For the record, most puppymills have dogs with champion pedigrees, that is not saying much.

You definitely get an A for effort though.

Oh and take your imaginary dog in to a reproductive vet specialist, they will have all the information you need.

Do you really expect us to read all of that?

No one cares on how "champion lined" your dogs are. That means nothing. It's about your experience, and I personally think there should be NO breeding with all of the dogs thrown in shelters and killed each year.

You need to do more research.

No, you have not have them checked, you just left them alone together?? How sick and irresponsible you are.

I'm not reading all of that. If you want to breed, get a breed mentor from your national breed club. And have the dog vet checked tomorrow. . If not, emergency spay tomorrow.

And if you truly have champion dogs, you wouldn't be asking total strangers.

only way i know is to ask your breeding mentor or vet

in season female left unsupervised usually means pregnancy

sorry to me you are still a byb, other wise you and mentor would have gone all over this

You need a mentor.

• Marian

Ask your Vet.

Source(s): Vet assistant.