Springfield, IL- living stats and info?

My husband and I will soon be out of the army, and we are looking for a new city to move to that is cheap and safe to raise children (we already have a 2 year old boy.) Springfield, IL is on our "search" list, but I have never been to IL at all, and need a lot of information. I would like to know about Springfield and its surrounding areas:

-How the area is (nice, not so nice, safe, unsafe, high end, average, metro, suburb, etc.)

-If it safe or unsafe to raise children, the crime rates, and how the school systems and day cares are

-What is the minimum wage for employment

-The employment rate (is it easy or hard to find work)

- How general cost of living is for food, gas, utilities, etc.

- Any other specifics and info you could give me would be great! Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Springfield IL is the capital of Illinois and is a very popular tourist spot for Lincoln. But if you want to have good schools, a smaller town, and less traffic and possibly an easier way to find a job,ntry Clinton they have excellent schools for your young son.

How the area is: Clinton: Clinton is definitely a nice town its small the people are friendly and it isn't too run down

School/Crime Ratings: Clinton is definitely the place to raise a child, they have excellent schools and daycares that have very low crime ratings

Minimum wage for employment: Now I can't be precise or even really take a very good guess on this one because it all depends on where you work

Employment: I will say that it would possibly be easier to find a job in Springfield (because it is bigger with more job opportunities) than it would be Clinton but Clinton is only around 15 minutes away from Springfield so it wouldn't be too terribly bad of a drive

General Cost: http://www.city-data.com/city/Clinton-Illinois.htm... is really helpful on that subject as far as housing costs

All in all Clinton is a wonderful town not as gringy definitely a little bit smaller very close to Springfield but not that far from springfield with excellent schools and daycares :)

Springfields Tourist Attractions include Lincolns tomb Lincoln Mueseum White Oaks Mall and so much more!

Source(s): http://www.city-data.com/city/Clinton-Illinois.htm... I live close to Clinton and have many friends there