Random folders popping up on C drive?

Please tell me someone has an idea of what's causing this.... I noticed one day that a bunch of random folders appeared on my hard drive, so I deleted them and then different ones with the same sort of folder name started popping up again. Every time I delete them, more with similar names come back.

They all contain one .file file and I can't even begin to figure where they are coming from.

Here is the C drive with the folders: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/6/capturecost...

And an example of the files that appear in them (all have different names though): http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/captureay...

I thought that to, but I haven't done anything out of the ordinary to get a virus and this is definitely the only odd thing happening and it's been for months.

• Tdz
    Favorite Answer

Unlike what most people think, these are not virus. They are temp folder with temp files (they seem to be using hexadecimal or something similar as numbering...00 to ff..e4 etc...). Since they are temp files, they will come back next time the application that needs them is launched.

Some demos and software (unprofessional softwares, cheaply developed...) leave theses things around and don't delete them. You can clear them using Windows Disk Cleaner (or Disk Cleanup).

If they are appearing as soon as you delete them, it means the process is currently running. If they reappear when you reboot, it means the process recreates them at startup. If they come back after some time, but without being always when you boot, it means it's only recreated when the software/application is actually launched.

Check it out to see if it's from a service that's always running or a software you installed (capturing video and audio, similar products...).

Good luck. But don't think of it as a virus because it's probably not. Viruses don't do that!

Hi there

My best guess is that these are caused by a virus. This happened to me once (when I was less security concious). Basically, hackers will use PCs around the world to store fragments of there pirate data.

The only chance its not is if you have recently installed an application, you could try removing it.

the sole way for this to take place is that in case you will downloaded something that has a hidden document working that motives this pop as much as reveal. you have no longer wiped sparkling the pc throughly adequate in the experience that your nevertheless getting it. it incredibly isn't any doubt working and extremely hidden on your device. attempt something else or in case you have those days downloaded something it incredibly is incredibly useful to analyze those records or delete them.

I believe you have a virus on your computer