What are Christian attitudes towards drugs?

Best Answer

The "drug" at the time of the Bible was alcohol, which is never mentioned in a positive light except when Jesus turned water into wine in order to save the host of a wedding feast from impending embarrassment. Though it is never outrightly banned, the overuse of these products is discouraged. Wine is called a mocker and beer a brawler. Elders and deacons are warned to avoid "being given" to strong drink.

As for recreational drugs (I'm assuming you're NOT talking about medicine), since there is no other purpose for them BUT to get high, it is reasonable to assume that Christians should avoid them and encourage others to do the same. Christianity teaches accountability for words and actions, so use of products that will cloud judgment or physicall impair us is a bad idea.

• Bob

The bible uses the word we got Pharmacy from to describe Sorcery. Mind altering drugs should not be taken.

With regard to medicine there is every indication it is acceptable. Paul even advised...

1 Timothy

Keep yourself pure.

23 Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

Medicine is acceptable to a point. I can tell you from personal experience my kidney's were failing and I was prescribed Prednisone in high doses. It is a steroid and causes the well known problem of steroid rage.

The steroid rage became so bad that I told the doctor I would not take the medicine anymore because I would rather die than become that person. He said it was likely that refusing the treatment would shorten my life span.

I probably could have avoided the kidney failure but I felt that the medicine was creating a huge spiritual blight on my life. People have to make those choices for themselves. It isn't easy.

Source(s): bible

The bible said that ALL plants are for human consumption, so it depends on the view. Some will say that the body is a temple......most Christians go from doing hard drugs to becoming hardcore Christians, so Im sure theyre not that against it.

Source(s): Had a friend in college that was a druggie turned Christian.

My christian attitude is the same toward drugs as it is anything else. First, what does the bible say about them? Second, are they against the law? If they are, we are to avoid using them. Third, what is the purpose and intent of the drug and it's user/provider? If there is no sin in the use of the drug, it is ok. (reference the bible for determination of sin.)

• ?

I would recommend that we use our discretion and apply the "know a thing by its fruits".

Is addiction healthy? Can an addicts need for drugs that cause them to hook, lie, steal and otherwise degrade themselves be considered healthy? What of all the lives they they destroy? Their own, their friends, their families, etc.?

The fruit of drug use is bitter and death-dealing to a Christian.

Consider: You have an overdose, how can you meet God with a cleansed conscience without the proper ability to think, speak, reason? Can you make a confession without being in your right mind? Would you even know enough about what was going on around you and to you - to know that your time had come?

Source(s): Orthodox Christian

The question is too broad. What drugs, medical drugs. Christians believe in medical science. Luke was a physician. (Disciple/Writer of the Gospel Luke)

If you mean addiction we are not permitted and are to follow a certain lifestyle in prayer and the Word to keep us from this as well as any other behaviour that shows lack of control, gluttony, sloth, drunkenness.

Of course again, I would need a more specific question

• Colt

They are a form of idolatry; they defile our bodies, which are the temples of the holy spirit and destroy our relationships with one another and our sense of self. During NT times, certain drugs and potions were used by the pagans to put themselves into trances, as well as enhance sexual performance, kill an unborn fetus, etc. The Bible (the NT in it's original Greek) mentions two forms of sorcery; one magic (mageia) and the other witchcraft, which should be rendered as the use of drugs (pharmakeia).

That no person must be attempting to everyone as a "functionality form" different than to Jesus Christ. whether or no longer they take drugs or no longer. they're human in simple terms like us, with God given skills. people who take drugs of course have a confusing time know-how this and abuse themselves. they want help.

why do people insist that because you are a christian you have to feel the same way about a certain situation? It doesn't matter what your religion is to have an opinion (positive or negative) about "drugs" per say.

Drugs are drugs because people made it so. Crystal meth is a rock and Marijuana is a plant before humans turned it into something bad,