Electric Vehicles Charging System?

How are the electric vehicles be charged up for refueling also what type of battery does it use finally what is the voltage to run those vehicles?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Electric cars can be recharged with either a 110 volt household plug (takes about the same amount of power as a blow-dryer for your hair), or, they can be recharged faster with 220 volt outlet, like the one you connect your clothes dryer into.

What kind of battery?

Most of the new electric cars use Lithium batteries. They're expensive, but they work pretty well.

An alternative to lithium batteries is the Lead-Acid batteries, like the ones used to start gasoline cars. A more durable type of Lead-Acid battery is used, referred to as "Deep-Cycle" and those are better suited to run an electric car than the type used to start gasoline cars. One problem with Lead-Acid batteries is that they provide only about half as much power per pound of weight than a Lithium battery.

A problem for both Lithium and Lead-Acid batteries wear out after just a few years, and have to be replaced. When the first group of electric car owners discover how much they will have to pay for new batteries, well, they'll want to go back to driving a gasoline car.

Then there's the Edison battery. It was developed by Thomas Edison about 100 years ago to be used in electric cars. It gives slightly more power per pound of weight as Lead-Acid batteries. But their big advantage is that they don't need acid to work, so those batteries will last for several decades before they need to be replaced. Actually, Edison batteries will outlast the car they are installed in.

The disadvantage of Edison batteries is they need to be refilled with distilled water (check them once a week), and they generate power much more slowly when it gets cold (below freezing).

The voltage to run the vehicles? It depends on how the batteries are connected. Some use four 12-volt batteries connected in series to produce 48 volts DC, like this one:

http://www.getkurrent.com/home.html

And others use six 12-volt batteries, like this one:

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/gem-electri...

I've seen other cars that use high-voltage motors, and they connect more batteries in series and their systems operate at 140 volts. It all depends on how the electrical system is engineered.

Check out the Youtube videos for the DETROIT ELECTRIC cars . . . they quit making them in the 1930's, and the later models were really quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-PPcDATITE

Youtube thumbnail

• 8 years ago

I'm going to give you two different examples. One being the Toyota Prius and the other being the Chevy Volt. The Volt operates as a pure battery electric vehicle until its plug-in battery capacity drops to a predetermined threshold from full charge, at which point its gasoline engine powers an electric generator to extend the vehicle's range. Although marketing campaigns make this vehicle seem like an all electric vehicle, which it is sorta, it is not "full" electric. The batteries are Li ION batteries and stand alone range of them is only about 35 miles on a full charge. After that the gas powered motor kicks in to recharge them. The prius works in pretty much the same way. Recharging batteries that are used to aid in demanding situations like acceleration. The prius also uses the batteries for reverse since the generator system is built into the transmission and since the motor is connected to the generator, the motor cannot turn one way while the trans is turning the other.

As far as a complete electric vehicle like the Tesla roadster needs to be plugged in to recharge. The motor is a complete electric motor and can sustain slightly over 200 miles on a single charge. A full charge takes about 3.5 hours and needs to be hooked up with a special cable and box receiver supplying 240V.

Source(s): 6 years exp. ASE cert. Tesla info was from Wikipedia.
  • 8 years ago

All electric vehicles and plug in hybrids are charged by connecting them to a charging station. Charging time depends on the size of the battery pack and the power source for the charging station. For example, the Chevrolet Volt Plug In Hybrid takes about 10 hours to charge with a 120 volt charging station but takes 4 hours to charge with a 240 volt charging station.

Fortunately the industry has gotten smart about these charging stations. They have created the SAE J1772 standard. This standardizes the charging stations used with electric vehicles. For example the Chevrolet Volt and Nissan Leaf can be charged using the same charging station. It is safe to assume that future electric vehicles will use this same standardized charging station. This is crucial when they start placing public charging stations in public parking areas. You will park near what looks similar to a parking meter, connect your car, swipe a credit card, and your vehicle is charged while you are parked.

Battery power is by Lithium Ion batteries similar to what are used in laptop computers, cell phones, cordless power tools, etc. Just on a much larger scale. Final output voltage of the battery pack would depend on the individual vehicle.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

electro-magnetic vehicles recharge themselves via the motor and a pulse current at low amperage, however electric vehicles should recharge via a dc converter of some sort, with the wires on backwards. I have mine recharge via the air, with an att and secondary bat. I like the feel of electric vehicles so I stuck to them. Both or all 3 methods mentioned here are not available to the mainstream, so they charge via electrical grids or what i call slow charges.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Too many possible answers, look up Electric Vehicles.

• Onnied
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

the best answer I can give you is to go to your auto parts store and see if you can get a manual on them yet most don't want you to know these things but good thinking the manual run's about 18.00 dollars be safe my friend

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.