Lolly asked in PetsHorses · 9 years ago

Britches or breeches?

hi! I have heard a lot of people saying Britches and Breeches in different tack shops as well as friends etc. Which is the correct pronouciation/spelling? (im asuuming they both refer to english riding trousers that stop half way up the calf?) Thanks!

Favorite Answer

What I was taught:

Britches - a term I often hear elderly people use to refer to pants ("son, pull you britches up...")

Breeches - A term meaning English riding pants

Good luck!

Britches is the most correct, but a lot of people now say breeches.

The word "britches" is slang for "pants" of various lengths. Breeches is the correct term and spelling but they are often interchangeable.

How Do You Spell Britches

Breeches.

I say breeches, but if I don't feel like making the long "I" sound, I say britches. Just laziness.

Breeches. I was always under the impression that "britches" were underwear. Lol

well it's both britches is the gramatically correct word while breeches is well breeches

just go with breeches :)

• zakiit

It is a regional thing. But in the Queen's English it would be Breeches.

• ?

Oh god I thought that said 'B!tches or Breeches' instead of britches......LMAO oh dear

Anyhow, I've always known them as breeches.