Is the Catholic religion the officially recognized "State Church" of America?

It seems that any nationally recognized memorials or ceremonies are always celebrated in a catholic church. Which led me to think of China and how they allow some churches to practice, albeit under complete state control.

Update:

Okay unofficial. Is it because of its closeness to the world that it is chosen for many many religious type ceremonies such as national memorials?

Update 2:

Episcopal? After a quick look it looks like Catholicism to me. Just another name.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • Bruce
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

The First Amendment bars the government of the United States from establishing an official state church. This provision is vital to protecting religious freedom, which comes to us from God. Having a state-sponsored church would force non-believers to support a religion they reject with their tax dollars, which is what American immigrants left in much of Europe.

The only major ceremonies I've seen in Catholic Churches are Catholic funerals.

I'm a Catholic, and I would never want to see Catholic Churches run by government. The church is not a democracy, but an outpost of the kingdom of God.

Cheers,

Bruce

• Darcy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Most European countries never fully recognized the confederacy except for the Vatican which in November 1863 Pope Pius IX sent a letter to Jefferson Davis stating that the catholic church recognized the confederacy as a sovereign nation Throughout the war, most European powers adopted a policy of neutrality, meeting informally with Confederate diplomats but withholding diplomatic recognition. None ever sent an ambassador or an official delegation to Richmond. However, they applied principles of international law that recognized the Union and Confederate sides as belligerents. Both Confederate and Union agents were allowed to work openly in British North America. Some state governments in northern Mexico negotiated local agreements to cover trade on the Texas border.

• Daver
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

<<Is the Catholic religion the officially recognized "State Church" of America?>>

No. The Constitution of the United States prevents the government from establishing or recognizing ANY religion as the "official state religion".

<<It seems that <snip> a catholic church.>>

Not necessarily.

<<Which led me <snip> complete state control.>>

"COMPLETE state control" is NOT "allowing some churches to practice".

<<Okay unofficial. Is <snip> as national memorials?>>

What "national memorials" do you speak of, specifically?

<<Episcopal? After a quick look it looks like Catholicism to me. Just another name.>>

Episcopal is not Catholics. Perhaps there's more to religion than what it merely "looks like".

For example, just because it's an ornate house of worship doesn't necessarily mean it's Catholic.

• 8 years ago

No, the US constitution prohibits the establishment of a state religion.

Very few such national events are in Catholic churches. Some are in large Episcopal churches which may be how you're getting confused.

EDIT: Episcopal churches are not Catholic. They have their own hierarchy and do not recognize the Catholic pope, the doctrine is different, the sacraments are different, and it's an entirely different organization.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Gary B
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Under the United States Constitution, a "State Church" is illegal. ALL religions are free to practice as they see fit, within the bounds of safety and public decency.

MANY Federal Government leaders are Catholic, but this seems to be local rather than nation wide. Where I am, most of the civic leaders are Baptist, and in certain cities they are Jewish, while others are secular (non-religious)

• The 9/11 memorial was in the National Cathedral, which is Episcopal.

There is no OFFICIAL State Church. The unofficial government-favored religion is common-denominational Protestant.

• 8 years ago

There is no state church for one, and secondly if there was it likely wouldn't be Catholic. Of the 44 Presidents our nation has elected a whopping 1 has been Catholic.

• MacG
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Um, no. We only had two Catholic presidents, Kennedy and uhh, oh yeah, we've only had ONE Catholic president.

What we do have is freedom of religion, although some extremists would like to think that means a ban on all religions.

• Duck
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Not at all. According to the 1st Amendment to the Constitution, there cannot be any establishment of a state religion (not that there aren't some fundies out there who wouldn't absolutely love to get rid of that fact).

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The US has no process for officially recognizing any religion unless they're on the FBI or State Department watch lists.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.