How many gun owners are there in the United States?

Well me, my Grandpas and cousin we all own guns so how many gun owners are there in the US?

• Chris
    Best Answer

The NRA estimates that between 70 and 80 million Americans own guns. There are about 300 million guns in the US. The National Shooting Sports Foundation estimates that the guns and ammo sold in one year is worth $4 billion. 1.2 million of these guns are sold by a single company : The Freedom Group (which is owned by Cerberus Capital Management in Manhattan.)

Source(s): Singer, N. (2011). How freedom group became the big shot. The New York Times. November 11, 2011.

Exceedingly difficult to get an accurate answer. A recent Gallup Poll indicated that there were firearms in just under half of all US households. According to the FBI, they ran over 16 million background checks in 2010. Of course those are not all new gun owners but many are.

Estimates from various sources have come in around 80 million but that was years ago. I suspect that with 49 states now having some form of concealed carry permits and with concerns about crime and crooked politicians that the number is several million north of that. Also gun ownership has simply become more mainstream. It is socially more acceptable to own and shoot guns than it was just a few years back. Highly publicized events such as the young mother in Oklahoma have brought to light the fact that guns do indeed save lives of innocent people.

I don't think there is anything like an accurate verifiable number but I do suspect with gun sales making new records last year and the current political and economic climate that there are more gun owners now than there have ever been in the US, somewhat rather more than the old estimate of 80 million.

Gun Owners - 30-35 million

People with Guns - 65-80 million

People with guns = someone in their family owns a gun and they have access to it- e.g., children of a parent that owns guns. spouse of someone that owns guns, etc.

Legally Owned Firearms in the USA: 300 to 480 million

Source(s): 1: ATF figures #2: NRA estimates #3: ATF & GOA estimates, ATF being the lower one.

Most studies point to a number between 40 and 50 million, but since they usually rely on random people voluntarily telling strangers whether or not they own guns, this number is likely way low.

• Jake

Not enough...

I seen a survey that stated 47% of men own firearms and 13% of women own them. I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are.

80 to 100 million depending on where you get your information from. It is believed that at least 50% of all households in the United States have firearms.

Last I heard around 80,000,000.

But then again I never got a survey so the number probably isn't accurate

Mikes a goat owner.

Source(s): Gun owner

* Since Obama took office it is now Ninety Million 90.000.000.*

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*.................Fly like an Eagle.*~~

Not enough

Source(s): Not a gun owner.
  • AJ

<---