Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleOther - Beauty & Style · 9 years ago

How do I start in the model business? (teen girl)?

First of all, which type of modeling would be best for me:

-I am 5'5 (still growing...I'm supposed to be 5'7 ish when i'm older)

-average weight (planning to lose a little)

I will not be tall enough to be a runway model, obviously, but i was hoping that ii had a chance to become a catalogue model? I would REALLY like to become a fashion or editorial model but i don't know if i'm tall enough or what requirements are.

Any advice or tips?

What agencies are best?

Also, if you are a model, could you tell me what they look for in looks AND personality?

Do they look for the "average pretty girl at school" look, or a little more of "different, not quite as 'pretty', but interesting" look?

• Alyson
    Favorite Answer

As for what types of looks they look for...it all depends, especially if your planning on doing more of editorial and print ad stuff because they're obviously going to be looking for different types of girls depending on the job.

Some things I can tell you from being a model for 4 years...

- be prepared to ALWAYS monitor your weight, I mean always. It's very easy to become obsessed over it because they are constantly drilling into your head that you must either lose weight or stay at the low weight you are already. (if they consider you to be a good weight) FOR example, at the time I was 5 foot 11 and I did both runway and print, and I weighed 120 pounds, believe it or not, I got told to lose weight by one agent. That's right around the time I quit because I couldn't take being told to lose weight anymore when I was already much too skinny.

- it is LOTS of work and tons of stress, doing print ads may look easy but it's not. You constantly have to come up with new poses every second and it's crazy long days. You may spend hours and hours and hours just on one shoot with little food and water or breaks.

- be prepared for lots of criticism, people always push you to be better and not everyone is going to like you obviously. When your in a job where so many aspects of your body are scrutinized every day There is going to Be lots of criticism. And I'm not exaggerating, they literally look at every little imperfection on your body.

- be prepared to not make ANY money for a couple of years at least! They pay you by giving you prints of pictures taken of you from the shoot for your portfolio, you don't make any money until agencies start really wanting you and asking you to do stuff for them. For a long time it's YOU who has to go out and search and ask to do jobs. I didn't start making money until I had been a model for 3 years and I've heard of some who barely make any money and they've done it for longer.

Bottom line... You have to really be a certain type of person to not only be a model, but to succeed as one. There's nothing wrong with trying it out, but I WOULDN'T recommend it is a career.

Email me if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer!

:)

Source(s): Was a print and runway model

First, my compliments to WCG for starting an interesting discussion. This is one of those times when a message board would be a better forum than a Q&A. Most of the points I would made have already been covered in answers above, so I'll just toss in a few new items. I have the *contact by email* turned off for Yahoo Answers, so I never get any replies from people. It sounds as though that was a good decision. The "going into business" phenomenon is not limited to teens and photography. I'm an accountant by profession, and its rife in that field. You would be shocked at the number of untrained people who buy Quick Books and Turbo Tax, and then attempt to go into business. The ads of the accounting and tax software companies imply anyone can produce expert results without having to know anything about the subject. In photography, we have all seen the ads showing celebrities waving cameras around while taking one National Geographic quality shot after another. Evidently regardless of the product, the "buy this and you don't have to know anything" marketing line works very well.

Under 18s need written parental permission to model & adult chaperones to all shoots, interviews & casting calls. Parents must ensure work is within government guidelines with regard to hours, pay etc. If applicable a youth work permit will be needed.

The law states that only parents can make model agency applications on behalf of anyone under the age of 18. Applications are made either by attending open calls, direct by email to agency offices, or by use of the online application forms found on the agencies` websites. Make sure the agency is appropriate to your age - some are adults only. Any agency that asks for an upfront payment is a scam. Find agencies by doing an internet search for 'Model Agencies ***** (ie the area you want to search) then do your authenticity checks as described below. When applying the agencies require head & shoulder shots & full length body images, both front facing & side shots. Wear a fitted plain T shirt & fitted jeans. For the girls, no make-up & hair off the face.

Portfolios should include images in the model`s chosen genres. Both professional un-edited & clear amateur shots are acceptable. Use images from several photographers. You will need permission from the photographer to include his/her images in your portfolio as they own the copyright. For further portfolio information use this link http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind%E2%80%A6

Use international model networking sites (Model Mayhem / Purestorm / OneModelPlace) to locate photographers in your area. Each of these websites has a search facility for this purpose. Most photographers will have links to their own websites from their profiles.

Some photographers will work TFP (Time for Prints)/TFCD (Time for Compact Disc) i.e the model & photographer give their time to a shoot, no money exchanges hands, but both get either prints or images on CD to use in their portfolios. Most photographers will charge for their work. Ensure that the price they quote is all inclusive. Do not use portfolio studios as often the price does not include the images, only the studio time & the photographer. Portfolio studios often ignore the 7 day cooling off period & will give the hard sell to entice their customers to pay extortionate prices for poor quality images.

Beware, 3 out of 4 agencies will be a scam. The quickest, but not exclusive, way to check is to google the name of the agency followed by the word 'scam' 'review' and/or 'fraud' & to read the results. Be aware that where there are negative reviews, it is not uncommon for the scam agencies to write bogus positive reviews. The link here will take you to further information on how to avoid the scams :

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/ind%E2%80%A6

Genuine agencies receive thousands of applications direct to their offices. They have no need to scout or advertise anywhere on the internet INCLUDING Facebook, FaceParty, Gumtree, Google Ads, YahooAds. To make this clear, when making an internet search on any thing relating to modelling ALL the modelling adverts on the right of the screen, and in the pink or blue boxes at the top of the results list are ALL scams.

Avoid modelling schools, their remit is to make themselves money not to make models. They accept anybody willing to pay the high fees they charge but can give no guarantee of your being accepted by an agency. Many will not bother to pass details to the agencies. You are making them money - why should they pass you on to make money for someone else? You are better off applying direct to the agencies & if you are accepted they will give you training for free and you know you are not wasting your time or money.

There are no guarantees. Modelling has a 98% rejection rate and those that do get signed to an agency are not guaranteed work

Some agencies cover all the different types of modelling, some cover a select few, and some are exclusive to one style. But what each one will be looking for in potential models is

a) the model`s ability to make him or herself and the product they are advertising (whether it be a physical item or an idea) saleable either via the camera or the catwalk.

b) models they can market to their clients.

Each agency has it`s own client base which may be looking for different types of models to the clients of another agency. It`s not all down to having a set 'look' or measurements, it is more down to ability and what the particular agency is looking for. Which is why some very attractive people are rejected by agencies and many average looking people are signed.

Agencies won`t be interested in what you weigh. A healthy BMI is more important.

Source(s): UK Model Scout