My friend is on lorazepam, generic for Ativan, controlled substance & She fills it at Walgreens, employee ste?

An employee is stealing her prescription- not using her insurance just paying for it with cash, She had 2 scripts for it there, they said the lost the first one (they are supposed to keep the hard copy for years here in missouri, 5-7 I think) Anyway, she got a 2nd one, and they said they lost that one too. So this was over the holidays, and she couldn't go get another from her doctor, until he was back in town, meanwhile being off of it cold turkey, she has been really sick, throwing up and stuff. When her dr got back she talked to him, he showed her she still had remaining refills for up to a year, and she went back to walgreens and apparently one of their employees has been filling it with cash, and she talked to the manager. Can my friend take legal action against walgreens for this? Not keeping the script on location/hand, and then their employee stealing it, for her becoming ill over it and all? Can she prosecute said employee if they find out which one is doing it? Help?

odd job- damages would be getting sick, that would be pain/suffering.

And I'm not sure if it would even matter that she couldn't get another one because the dr was out of town, the dr technically isn't supposed to write another one, because the current one was still valid. When it comes to narcotics the regulations are a lot stricter- I used to be a pharmacy tech, and we had people escorted out to police cars for it before. And the whole reason for all the pain, and the need for a new one "because they lost it" was all because of the shady employee- employeed by Walgreens. IF the said employee wasn't stealing her prescription- there would be no need to get it from the dr. So I think the fault would be on the employee- not the drs offices being closed for the holidays.

Rusty- I was thinking the same thing, I do believe odd jobs is wrong, and the other person saying to give him best answer, is probably the same account. I.e. Same person.

I'm also aware that drs won't give out controlled scripts if another dr has already prescribed it too. Then they will think you are abusing it. I worked at a pharmacy but I wasn't the one who pursued these things. That was the managers job.

Favorite Answer

In the State I live in Ativan is a controlled substance and no one receives a one year prescription. Just the prescription being filled and two refills, and that just changed. Before that the patient would have to come in every month for the prescription. Also that is only if the Doctor trusts the patient to not over use.

Pharmacies have numbers of who to call if you have a problem with them. You can probably find out that info on line. Or just call several other pharmacies and ask them for the phone number. That is who they need to talk to. Then they can report it to the Police, however that may not go well. Pharmacies should have that info posted for all to see. Since you worked for a pharmacy you should know all about who to report problems with a pharmacy to.

We always have problems with our pharmacy giving us someone else's prescription or shorting us ten pills or one at a time. We have also been given ten more in one case. When we received someone else's prescription it was for depression, and my Husband picked it up on Thursday, we never opened the sack until Sunday and he could not get it back to them until Tuesday. We always wondered what they kept telling the guy it was supposed to go to. They were just like oh bring that back, no big deal. Then they said we will refund your money, I said of course you will. They just do not seem to care. There is also info posted at our Doctor's office stating that lost or stolen prescriptions will not be refilled.

Source(s): Since some on here want to act childish and give thumbs down because someone does not agree with them, I would like to say that Odd Job is absolutely WRONG. When you go to a Doctor for certan meds you are not to go to other doctors for the same medication. That would make your friend in the wrong. If the pharmacy messed this up or took the meds it is on them. Please do not listen to ppl just because they have a title by their name or say they are a lawyer. Why would lawyers be on this site acting infantile????

I have not heard of any law that says they have to keep a hard copy. Most if not all scripts are over the internet now. And if it is a narcotic and as controlled as you say then the alarm would have gone out when she supposedly used a years worth in a few months. Walgreens would be the one to take legal action against the employee. Your friend could have gone to the ER and they would have dealt with her problem. She could talk to a lawyer but I doubt there is any case here against Walgreens.

Odd Job's answer is EXACTLY right. You have misread it. He does not say damages don't exist. He is saying they are small, and that your friend should have been able to avoid them altogether.

If you already know all the answers, why bother posting questions?

Give Odd Job best answer right now!

Source(s): Lawyer.

On the civil side, your friend has no damages she can attribute to the pharmacy. If she "couldn't get another from her doctor," isn't that the doctor's fault? And if she couldn't go to a different doctor, isn't that her own fault?

On the criminal side, the decision to file criminal charges belongs to the prosecutor, not your friend, and certainly not you.

Go directly to your local law ,and report it.

Don't report anything more to walgreen's,they'll just try to cover it up,and blame her.

Source(s): 53.