Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 9 years ago

How to write a negative obituary?

For my project I am supposed to write 2 obituaries, one negative and one positive for that person. The person I chose to write them on is Lawrence of Arabia, but I can't seem to find any sites that say how to write a negative obituary. They all seem to say to leave any negative things out. So how would I write it? If you can, include examples from Lawrence of Arabia's life. I need this as soon as possible, please. 10 points given within a few hours to best answer.

• AJ
    Favorite Answer

Positive obituary:

Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Edward Lawrence, CB, DSO (16 August 1888[5] – 19 May 1935), known professionally as T. E. Lawrence, was a British Army officer renowned especially for his liaison role during the Arab Revolt against Ottoman Turkish rule of 1916–18. The extraordinary breadth and variety of his activities and associations, and his ability to describe them vividly in writing, earned him international fame as Lawrence of Arabia, a title which was used for the 1962 film based on his World War I activities. May he rest in peace.

Negative obituary:

Lawrence was born illegitimately in Tremadog, Wales, in August 1888 to Sir Thomas Chapman and Sarah Junner, a governess who was herself illegitimate. Chapman had left his wife and first family in Ireland to live with Sarah Junner, and they called themselves Mr and Mrs Lawrence.

At the age of 46, two months after leaving the service, Lawrence was fatally injured in an accident on his Brough Superior SS100 motorcycle in Dorset, close to his cottage, Clouds Hill, near Wareham. A dip in the road obstructed his view of two boys on their bicycles; he swerved to avoid them, lost control and was thrown over the handlebars. He died six days later on 19 May 1935. The spot is marked by a small memorial at the side of the road.

The circumstances of Lawrence's death had far-reaching consequences. One of the doctors attending him was the neurosurgeon Hugh Cairns. He was profoundly affected by the incident, and consequently began a long study of what he saw as the unnecessary loss of life by motorcycle dispatch riders through head injuries. His research led to the use of crash helmets by both military and civilian motorcyclists.

AJ