why isn't william prince of wales as first born whereas harry is prince of wales?
- capitalgentlemanLv 79 years ago
Prince Charles is Prince of Wales. His sons of Prince William/Harry of Wales.
Charles, Prince of Wales
Prince William of Wales
Prince Harry of Wales
- Syntinen LauluLv 79 years ago
Neither of them is.
- Their father, Charles is Prince of Wales. There can only ever be one "Prince of Wales" at a time.
- The children of a Prince of Wales are "Prince Firstname of Wales" and "Princess Firstname of Wales". The use of the given name signifies that s/he is the child of the holder of the title, not the holder himself. (So for this reason it would never be correct to call Charles "Prince Charles of Wales".) Since they were born, Charles's sons have been "Prince William of Wales" and "Prince Harry of Wales".
- However, on William's marriage the Queen gave him a dukedom of his own, which is a higher title than "Prince Firstname of Wales", so it is now always used. (If someone has several titles, you always use the top-ranking one.) In the same way the Queen's second son was always called Prince Andrew until he married and the Queen made him Duke of York.
- DANIEL WLv 79 years ago
The Prince of Wales as a title is held by Charles, the oldest son of the Queen. Both William and Harry were Know as Prince <name> of Wales as part of their title. This is dropped upon receiving a title of their own OR the peron holding that title is elevated. If the Queen died then HArry would become HRH The Prince Henry and Charles would able to grant the title Prince of Wales to William who would automatically become Duke of Cornwall. (Duke of Cornwall is automatic for the heir to the throne who is ALSO the oldest son of the Monarch ,The title Prince of Wales has to be conferred - if Charles predeceased his mother William could not become Duke of Cornwall but could be created Prince of Wales by the Queen).
William is likely to be Prince of Wales in his own right one day but he held the "of Wales" part of his name as it his father's title in the same that Prince Andrew's daughters are know as Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie of York as their father is Duke of York.
- JoshLv 69 years ago
Neither is prince of Wales.
Both are British prince's and hence may use it as a prefix in front of their names. Harry holding no peerage may style himself "of Wales" from his fathers title but he is not the prince of Wales.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous9 years ago
William IS first born, by two and a half years, and NEITHER of them is Prince of Wales.
Their father, Prince Charles is first in line to the Throne of the UK, making him the Prince of Wales. (Also, I think his investiture to that title in 1969 or so, gives him the right to that title.)
- 9 years ago
The eldest son of the reigning monarch is the Prince of Wales. At the moment that is Prince Charles.
When or if Charles becomes King then William will become the Prince of Wales as he is the eldest son.
- Lord LucanLv 79 years ago
One is getting ones Princes in a muddle, old chap. William shall one day be known as the Prince of Wales whilst Harry may very well be known as the Duke of York some day, once Andrew pops his clogs of course.
- mooseLv 79 years ago
I thought they both were Princes of Wales, as Wales is the last name Will uses. Now that he is married he has gotten a new title along with Kate.