D'oh
Lv 5
D'oh asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 8 years ago

What is the significance of the Confederate (rebel) flag?

I have heard so many pros and cons, that I don't know what the heck it stands for. Please provide links if you can. (other than wikipedia)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Did you know that in the 1800's about 75% of the South were either Scotch or Scotch-Irish? The Confederate Battle Flag is based upon the national flag of Scotland. The national flag of Scotland is the cross of Saint Andrew and the cross of Saint Andrew is a symbol of the Christian faith and the heritage of the Celtic race. In fact, another name for the Confederate Battle Flag is the Southern Cross. It was adopted consciously, purposefully, deliberately and premeditatedly in order to display faith in the sovereign God of heaven and earth, faith in the providence of that God, the God of history and the God of salvation."

• Login to reply the answers
  • Darren
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Not sure what you mean by it's "significance." I think the flag you are referring to was the flag of the army of North Virginia. It was never the official flag of the confederacy. During World War II, US Army companies made up of soldiers from the South would display the flag. The University of Mississippi used to wave it at football games since their mascot is the Rebels (they no longer do so.) Since many people view the flag as a reminder of past racism in the South, it is now rarely displayed. Southern states no longer fly the flag and have even altered state flags to remove the symbol.

• Jay
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

what exactly are you looking for. the modern interpretation is completely individual.. the stars and bars was designed to look similar to the united states flag.... the stars representing the 7 original states that succeeded,, eventually getting up to 13 stars towards the end of the war...The first national flag of the Confederacy was inspired by Austria's national flag it was designed by Prussian artist Nicola Marschall in Marion Alabama.

the battle flag of northern virgina, is a different flag that most northern or western people confuse as the flag of the confederate army...

it doesn't stand for anything other than southern heritage .. the problem is some people cannot let go of the past even though they were not part of it and decide to keep old hate alive ...

that is what sparks the anger... black / white /north/ south. it doesn't make a difference... it is history now, history doesn't lie. it teaches us cause and effect. that is it...

people who use the flags for any other reason now, are only trying to find a propaganda tool that is recognizable...

I am a man that lives in the north , my whole family is from the north going back to 1709 when the first of my ancestors came to this country to Pennsylvania...

i had at minimum 9 direct ancestors that fought for the union and 1 of those men died in a prison camp in Salisbury north carolina..

i have researched the civil war for about 25 years, and this is what i have come up with when people ask me about these flags...

most people are ignorant,,, and just go with what they hear on the local news or go by what they were taught in public school books... usually half truths about ever thing...

teach yourself the history of the country and you cannot go wrong..

the south is not my enemy nor is the flag of there ancestors... it is there heritage and i respect that..

just like i ask that they respect my heritage in return..

we are all americans,,

just a side note,,, you will see alot of ignorant ranting come about with this question you proposed, be ready for it... from both sides,, these are those who wish to keep the " fight" alive that never once had known a person alive from that peroid or should feel the urge to be free of the the bonds that hold them 150 years later.... it really is a trip to hear this banther...

Source(s): 25 years of reading books and doing reserch, family tree that has many braches from gettysburg p.a.
  • hogg
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

It potential somewhat some issues to distinctive human beings. you have in simple terms seen 2 comments. i'm a states rights individual, myself, however the flag additionally symbolizes revolt for me. the government is now not a central authority of the folk, via the folk, for the folk. It has advance into too super and too oppressive. i've got faith that i'm taxed without representation, by way of fact we've a govenrment that characterize lobbys and specific pastime communities who've the money. That flag is my assertion of rejection of the federal governments failure to characterize the working human beings of this united states.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Only 3 thumbs down come on people your are slipping I Only tell the Truth the Flag represents the Honor of the south Lincolns war had No Honor Or approval of Congress

Long Live the confederate flag

it shows the True legal flag of the south we all Know that Lincolns war was to save his empire

Consider a few rarely spoken facts:

-Northern General U.S. Grant continued to hold a slave for nearly a year after the war. In fact, it took an act of Congress to finally free the man from Grant’s possession.

-Northern General Tecumseh Sherman was arrested many times for brutally abusing several of his slaves.

Conversely, Confederate General Robert E. Lee freed all of his slaves prior to the start of the war. That act by the military leader of the South truly displays that for the Confederacy, the war was only about states’ rights and a just rebellion against tyranny–not about slavery!

the people of the South had the Right to leave and were Murdered By the Union army this is what was Being Taught In West Point

"Another erroneous view of the great struggle, very generally held in the North,

is that the South waged the war to perpetuate slavery. Nothing could be further

from the truth. The war was fought for constitutional liberty and slavery was

only an incident to the -great question." New York Times Book Review, Dec.

26 ,1908, communicated.

"This public opinion (now prevalent in the South) positively demands that

teachers of history, both in the colleges and high schools, shall subscribe un-

reservedly to two trite oaths: (i) That the South was altogether right in seceding

from the Union in 1861; and (2) that the war was not waged about the *****."

"Historical scholarship has settled the fact that according to the

interpretation of the American Constitution up to the time of the Civil War

the Southern States did have the right to secede from the Union," and General

Adams adds, "The whole opposite contention from the days of Andrew Jackson

and Daniel Webster to i860 is thus summarily dismissed."

yes, the rights of all states and the express intent of the authors of the constitution were trampled.

I think if you look at the history of where the signers of the Constitution had just been in terms of trying to extricate themselves from a relationship with Great Britain, it makes sense that they would have insisted on safeguards to ensure that if a similar situation presented itself again, they would be able to leave quickly and easily. When you read the words of southern people in the late 1850s, it is clear that they feel that people far away who have no knowledge of the realities of southern life are trying to dictate terms.

Yes, he violated the Constitution.

this is constitutional Proof that Lincoln only wanted to Kill americans

U.S. Constitution "The Right To Secede" March 4, 1789

The first union of the original 13 colonies was effected by the Articles of Confederation, adopted in 1781. The articles established a confederation of sovereign states in a permanent union. The "permanence" lasted only until 1788, when 11 states withdrew from the confederation and ratified the new Constitution, which became effective on March 4, 1789. The founding fathers recognized the defects in the Articles of Confederation, learned from these defects, and scrapped the articles in favor of the "more perfect union" found in the Constitution.

Nowhere in the Constitution is there any mention of the union of the states being permanent. This was not an oversight by any means. Indeed, when New York, Rhode Island, and Virginia ratified the Constitution, they specifically stated that they reserved the right to resume the governmental powers granted to the United States. Their claim to the right of secession was understood and agreed to by the other ratifiers, including George Washington, who presided over the Constitutional Convention and was also a delegate from Virginia. In his book Life of Webster Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge writes, "It is safe to say that there was not a man in the country, from Washington and Hamilton to Clinton and Mason, who did not regard the new system as an experiment from which each and

every State had a right to peaceably withdraw."

A textbook used at West Point before the Civil War, A View of the Constitution, written by Judge William Rawle, states, "The secession of a State depends on the will of the people of such a State."

and we Australians Have the Southern Cross as part Of Our National Flag

• 8 years ago

The significance is some people believe the North ans South shouldn't have gotten back together. Displaying the Confederate flag is like saying we should split or it is a sign of national disrespect for the country

• theo c
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

opposition to obamacare

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.