Why does IX in roman numerals mean 9?

I'm stupid so i wouldn't know why, ok? Since X means 10 and I means 1 wouldn't it be 11?? Or are they subtracting if they put the I in front of the 10 instead of adding? Please help me, an idiot. (Was playing Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days and Demyx's number was IX which people and a roman numeral chart said meant 9)

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

to the left of the number is substracting. remember you cannot put more than three repetitions in roman numerals. so VIIII is wrong, thus IX which is nine, however, XI is eleven. same as XC is ninety, and CX is 110

• rigell
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Nine In Roman Numerals

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why does IX in roman numerals mean 9?

I'm stupid so i wouldn't know why, ok? Since X means 10 and I means 1 wouldn't it be 11?? Or are they subtracting if they put the I in front of the 10 instead of adding? Please help me, an idiot. (Was playing Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days and Demyx's number was IX which people and a...

Source(s): ix roman numerals 9: https://shortly.im/HlcwU
  • 8 years ago

You're not stupid, you just never learned the rules of how to read and write Roman numerals. It's not stupid if you're not born knowing this. The small number in front of the bigger number is subtracted; after it is added. XL is 40, LX is 60; IX is 9, XI is 11, XCI is 91, and so on.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

9 is IX because it means 1 before 10, 11 would be XI.

• 6 years ago

to the left of the number is substracting. remember you cannot put more than three repetitions in roman numerals. so VIIII is wrong, thus IX which is nine, however, XI is eleven.

• 5 years ago

• 8 years ago

I before X means subtraction, I after X means addition.

• 8 years ago

The I before the X means that it is the number one space before ten, which is nine. Just like IV is 4. One space before 5. VI is eleven since ur counting one space after 10.

• 8 years ago

"and on the sixth and a half'th day, god made IX to be nine."

Source(s): new-er testament
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.