Why does IX in roman numerals mean 9?

I'm stupid so i wouldn't know why, ok? Since X means 10 and I means 1 wouldn't it be 11?? Or are they subtracting if they put the I in front of the 10 instead of adding? Please help me, an idiot. (Was playing Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days and Demyx's number was IX which people and a roman numeral chart said meant 9)

Best Answer

to the left of the number is substracting. remember you cannot put more than three repetitions in roman numerals. so VIIII is wrong, thus IX which is nine, however, XI is eleven. same as XC is ninety, and CX is 110

• rigell

Nine In Roman Numerals

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why does IX in roman numerals mean 9?

I'm stupid so i wouldn't know why, ok? Since X means 10 and I means 1 wouldn't it be 11?? Or are they subtracting if they put the I in front of the 10 instead of adding? Please help me, an idiot. (Was playing Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days and Demyx's number was IX which people and a...

Source(s): ix roman numerals 9: https://shortly.im/HlcwU

You're not stupid, you just never learned the rules of how to read and write Roman numerals. It's not stupid if you're not born knowing this. The small number in front of the bigger number is subtracted; after it is added. XL is 40, LX is 60; IX is 9, XI is 11, XCI is 91, and so on.

9 is IX because it means 1 before 10, 11 would be XI.

to the left of the number is substracting. remember you cannot put more than three repetitions in roman numerals. so VIIII is wrong, thus IX which is nine, however, XI is eleven.

111

I before X means subtraction, I after X means addition.

The I before the X means that it is the number one space before ten, which is nine. Just like IV is 4. One space before 5. VI is eleven since ur counting one space after 10.

"and on the sixth and a half'th day, god made IX to be nine."

Source(s): new-er testament