How is United States Considered a free country?

I'm 16 and i'm just wondering, we pay a lot just on taxes, we have to pay a lot for mortgage, absolutely NOTHING is free, we have to pay for everything how is USA considered a free country? This list just keeps on going

Update:

Of course i knew about freedom of speech and all that schools teaches that to us in like 4th grade

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

us is considered a "free country" by whom? great majority of migrants go there not because of non-existing "freedoms" but economical chances! and that is all...

in all accounts you are mistaken, you were not born free, cost of hospital, food all rest of the cr@p, you are not living free either... and nothing is given or received for free, you pay somewhere for everything...

if you have mistaken truth about political freedom in usa, then consider only this single act, "patriot act"...

you do not need to look very far...

under "patriot act" any government agency can spy and record your behaviour, credit, banking, e-mails, speeches, all communication without due process, by administrative order...

under "patriot act" any government agency you can be detained, american citizen on american soil! for indefinite period (as long as they like even to your death from old age...), without due process and without redress... in reality, you will lose your home, your job, your family and you cannot even dispute that, precedens exist, young boy (your age, 16), was arrested in 2009 on fbi order, he was 16 at the time of arrest, to best of my knowledge, he is still in prison, link here:

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=97099

for more detailed description and violation of this monstrosity please check these sites:

http://www.scn.org/ccapa/pa-vs-const.htm%E2%80%A6

http://www.kean.edu/~eslprog/accents/200%E2%80%A6

in conclusion - no, there is no freedom in "free" country...

re - negative marks, i love these "nay" sayers, i presented my argument and support for it with links - but you, you just take refugee in "being patriotic", patriotism is last refugee of a scoundrel (samuel johnson in boswell writings)...

Source(s): experience, i can read and research... complete luck of faith in good will or intentions of politicians...
  • Dan
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Freedom has nothing to do with the cost of your house. Yes, we pay a lot in taxes, but that's the only part of your question that has anything to really do with freedom.

Your parents had the freedom to choose the conditions of their mortgage. That's not the government. The government shouldn't be involved in your mortgage. Companies should have the freedom to charge the prices that will get them a profit, and consumers have the right to purchase what they want with their earnings that haven't been taken from them from the government.

Now, you're right, the U.S. isn't nearly as free as strict adherence to the Constitution would provide, or as free as the Founding Fathers envisioned. However, we're still much freer than many countries (like North Korea, as someone else had posted).

Freedom is the ability to make your own decisions, and either succeed or fail based on your own abilities. Freedom is the ability to not have the government interfere with your company, the business transactions you choose to engage in, the lifestyle you want to lead, etc, as long as you're not harming anyone else in the process. That's freedom. A mortgage and the cost of consumer products have nothing to do with that.

• Chip
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

I think that "free" is refering to freedom of speech,religion,party afiliation, and political ideologies. Free basically just refers to the fact that it is illegale to be persecuted for your beliefs as long as you act within the law. In other countries you can persecuted even by the government when your views dont agree with popular views or the views of the leader. It would be nice if everything was monitarily free lol!!

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You have free speech and are free to believe in what ever religion you wish. There are other similar privileges not afforded to citizens of other countries. A nation does not provide everything for free anywhere. Free country is a tern referring to freedom, not free stuff.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • The fact that the U.S.A. is (currently) a free country has nothing to do with finances.

Read the Declaration of Independence

Read the Constitution

Then, you might understand.

Source(s): Freedom isn't free. Our fathers and grandfathers paid for that freedom, some of them with their lives. Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again; poor fools. And their grand-children are once more slaves.
  • Randy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Free does not just mean "without cost". It also refers to freedom of choice, freedom of religion, freedom to kill each other with all the guns you can carry.

But of course you already knew that.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I think for a sixteen year old your question is tops. So here you are:

PRESIDENT OBAMA, THE SENATE AND THE HOUSE HAS JUST FLUSHED OUR 4TH AMENDMENT DOWN THE TOILET WHEN THEY PASSED THE INDEFINITE DETENTION BILL

and that is the end of a what I would cal 'free country. They can pick you up from the street or from your hous, no questions asked or answer given and lock you up to their desire. From here you can make up your own mind.

Source(s): TheConspiracyZone : WHEN THIS BILL PASSES, IT WILL BE THE END OF FREEDOM IN AMERICA
  • 9 years ago

I think you mean free country as in we don't/shouldn't pay for things. By free, they mean we can choose to have as many children as we want without fear of being forced to abort them. They mean women are allowed to drive and leave the house without having to be accompanied by a male. Every citizen is entitled to a fair trial by a jury of his or her peers. Things of this nature. You are free to exercise your rights. Though no system is perfect.

Source(s): Life experience.
  • 9 years ago

It's not free in the sense of money.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

When they say "free", they don't mean money-wise. What they mean is you have many more rights compared to other countries. Which is complete bullshit. The only people that have all the rights are white, catholic, homophobic, racists.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.