Auliyah asked in PetsCats · 8 years ago

My cat just died, would getting a new one be wrong?!?

My cat just died yesterday (he ate rat poisoning), and next week i was planning on getting another cat, because my sister and mom told me it might help. I know ill NEVER be able to replace my other cat, but i feel so empty right now and i just really miss having an animal around with me already. I feel like i would be betraying my cat if i got a new one. Would it be wrong to get a new one?

oh and the rat poisoning wasn't at my house. When me and my mom went to the store, my sister had accidentally let him outside. It's not definite that it was that, but thats our best guess.

• Mick
    Best Answer

No, it wouldn't be wrong. As has already been said, you wouldn't be replacing your departed kitty. Your new kitty will make a new place in your heart, all his or her own.

I adopted my Scamper just days after my Rusty died. I wasn't planing to adopt so quickly, but cats have a way of happening. Rusty's doctor called about a rescue she'd taken in and worked on at her clinic, I went to meet him, and I saw that we belonged together.

Scamper didn't make me feel any less sad about losing Rusty, but he brought me great joy. I found that it's possible to be very sad and very happy all at the same time. It's complicated, but not as complex as it probably sounds. I can tell you this for certain: being happy and sad at the same time is a lot better than just being sad!

My cat died about a year and half ago, and I really want another kitten now, and am hopefully getting one in about two weeks. You wouldn't be replacing him, and the way I'm making sure I don't replace my cat is by not getting the same colour, possibly even breed again.

I think another cat would help, and it isn't wrong. you just love in your heart to give, and have just lost what you used to give it to. A new one will help x

I'm sorry for the loss of your cat.

I think you should take some time to reflect why you want another cat. It comes with responsibility to ensure that these adorable furry little creatures are well looked after. I am sorry but eating rat poisoning would not be a nice death. When you feel you are responsible enough for another cat, then get one. Look after the next little treasure.

oh my that is so sad i love cats they are adorable and no it would not be wrong to get a new one i think it would help You. you might even like the new one better, but i never did my first cat sweety is still my favorite but then again i am ot you. i would just keep all cleaning chemicals and Poison out of the way maybe on a shelf with no furniture under is and high enough so the cat cant jump on it i hope i helped and i am really sorry about your cat.

No, it wouldn't be wrong, but you should wait probably at least 3 months or so. Youll never replace your cat, but a new one can make you feel better and remind you of all the good memories you two had together!

You should probably give it a month, you're just using the other cat to replace the old one. I know it's hard. But you need to finish grieving for this cat before bringing a new one into your home. Sorry about your loss :(

• Irv S

You know it's not 'replacing' in any sense of disloyaylty to your old cat's memory.

That's the important part.

Why not give another cat a good home?

It's not going to replace your old cat but if you get a new one it will make you feel better.

Ouch, so sorry.

Give it at least a month. Your heart needs time to heal.

I lost my cat last month and just got a new one. I'm glad I waited. I needed that time to have closure. Yes, it's hard to wait but you will appreciate your next cat that much more. Good luck!

NOTHING will replace your fella, of course. But if you're like me and you loved him soooo much, you may take comfort in rescuing another cat in his honor. He would probably want you to alleviate the suffering of another good kitty - and your own suffering, too.

So, do it for him. It's the opposite of betraying him; it's honoring him.