Me J asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Why do solar panel manufacturers use conventional power in their factories?

I live in Idaho, and we have a solar panel manufacturer here that owes nearly $2 million dollars to Idaho Power.

Best Answer

Go buy some solar yard lights and tell me how satisfied you are with them.. it is very poor power source...

I think the point you're trying to make is that solar electricity is more expensive than other means of mass produced electricity today, and I would agree. However, that doesn't mean that solar panels are not worthwhile, especially to a consumer in the right location. After the electric company adds in its distribution fees and profit, residential solar electric can actually be cheaper. And in fact, we have had panels on our roof for the past 5 years.

Somewhere in the world, there's a factory producing AA batteries to use in flashlights, cameras, and so forth. I'm certain the factory does not run off AA batteries, yet I find AA batteries invaluable for certain things around the house.

Because heavy energy usage manufacturing is better suited to other power sources (much in the same way, I guess, that factories making car engines don't run on gasoline). Most solar is intended for residential and small business use.

Solar power is more useful in remote sites where conventional power is not available or in countries or locations where the conventional power is unreliable and brownouts or blackouts are frequent. What is important to realize is that what is the norm where you live is not necessarily the norm elsewhere.

• Dick

Because for industrial purposes, it's better suited at this stage in solar development

Homemade Solar Power Videos - http://SolarPower.duebq.com/?Ddp

• Jeff

Same reason the Lincoln Log factory isn't made out of lincoln logs............solar panels are more toy than anything else.

Interesting.

But your hatred of environmentalists and solar power doesn't mean there's an infinite amount of coal, oil, and gas in the ground.

Most likely the same reason people call the police when in trouble but hate the police when they don't need them

• L.T.M.

Don't worry Obama will make sure the taxpayers cover that bill..they just gotta 'contribute' to his cause.