Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Don't you think assisted suicide (euthanasia) should be legal?

I live in England (where it is still illegal)

Why shouldn't someone be allowed to die? If they will die with what they have and have a horrible life filled with pain, why should all the Catholic ministers not agree to make it legal?

Just because your God doesn't like it doesn't mean you should shove it down everybodies throat right?

Ah, but of course everyone who thinks euthanasia should remain illegal isn't suffering from a thing that will kill them, cause horrible pain & make a family struggle...

You must be stupid. Clearly if you read it you would realize I meant people with an illness which will kill them in the end, not just someone 'having a hard time'. Idiot.

Favorite Answer

There's a huge difference between assisted suicide and euthanasia. I believe our lives belong to each of us, that we have the right to decide to end our own lives. Euthanasia is when this decision is made by another person, and I would oppose that. But if I had some very painful terminal disease, I would like to have the option to decide to check out.

The idea that a doctor would help people commit suicide makes a lot of people very nervous. There are religious type that don't believe suicide is allowable, but even those who would allow suicide are nervous about doctors helping people do it. Some think doctors (and families) will pressure old, sick people to make the decision. Perhaps some think doctors will just murder patients and claim they asked for the service.

Religion, of course, should not be foisted on others. If you don't believe your God approves of suicide, well then don't commit suicide. You have no right to stop others if the mainstream of public thought favors allowing suicide.

• Jack

Good question. I am personally against assisted suicide. AND I am against unnecessary pain and suffering. Sometimes these two are in conflict with one another. When you figure out how to resolve that conflict, maybe you can figure some other things out as well.

I watched my mother die. It was not a pleasant or peaceful event. I prayed that she would either be relieved of the pain/discomfort or be allowed to die. It may be that at the end she was unaware. It may be that my prayer was answered in that respect. I have no way of knowing. I only know that I was in pain seeing her in such distress.

Would it have been so bad to end her life 6 or 8 hours earlier? And we are back to the conflict. I am still against suicide and also against unnecessary suffering.

I agree with you , surveys show that the majority of the UK population does as well However due to teh undue influence religion has on UK politics, in particular their privileged seats in the House of Lords the legislation is constantly vetoed. If the religious do not agree with this they do not have to take part. The leglislation should allow each individual to decide if the pain and suffering of a terminal illness is too much for them. Neither do I agree that all would be well with sufficient pain relief - even without pain many conditions mean that for soem the quality of life is not such that they woudl wish to continue. Some people value dignity and do not wish to continue when they are not able to do anything which gives their life quality and have to have others attend to their intimate needs.

I'd add with respect to problems with doctors helping that they are being somewhat unfair. Doctors have the knowledge and access to drugs to end their lives easily if they so choose if they are in this situation. All the rest of us are asking is the same knowledge and access,.

• Daver

EUTHANASIA

Literally 'easy death,' the act or practice of putting people to death because they or others decide that continued life would be burdensome. Originally the term was used for 'mercy killing,' which meant administration of an easy, painless death to one who was suffering from an incurable and perhaps agonizing disability or disease. Then, as mass genocide was legalized under Communism and Nazism, the term came to ge applied to all forms of inflicting death on persons who are, by legal standards, permitted to take their lives or others are allowed to do so with the full protection of the civil law.

The Holy See was asked, "Is it permissible upon the mandate of public authority, directly to kill those who, although they have committed no crime deserving of death, are yet, because of psychic or physical defects, unable to be useful to the nation, but rather are considered a burden to its vigor and strength?" The reply was No, and the reason given was that "it is contrary to the natural and divine positive law" (Pius XII, Decree of the Holy Office, December 1940).

It is not just God that does not like suicide...let us not forget about the Doctors, the Big Pharm Industry, makers of life support machinery or anything that extends life, or anyone who PROFITS from keeping the terminally ill ALIVE FOR AS LONG AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE TO MILK EVERY LAST DIME FROM THEM BEFORE THEY DIE.

Yes it is the god freaks standing in the way, but the medical community is standing right beside them.

Of course if you have no money and no insurance then BOTH the Conservative Greed Fueled Christian and the Greed fueled Medical Industry would actually subtly encourage you to do yourself in so you are no longer a "drain" on the system...they want MONEY going INTO THEIR pockets, not out.

I wonder how many people like a friend of mine are out there? People who, if they had a terminal illness and wanted to commit suicide, would do it in a way that would make society say "we should have helped this guy die".

I have a couple of friends who said they would go out in a big way and leave behind one note that said : I wanted to die to end my suffering. You should have offered me a simple way out. You extended my suffering so I will pass some suffering on to others on my way out.

Yes, but only under very strict regulations. The decision should lie with the person seeking it, and that person alone. Nobody else should be allowed to have a say in them having euthanasia, otherwise there are going to be people claiming their rich uncle wants to die so they can get his money, or people not wishing to care for their Alzheimer-afflicted grandmother, or similar cases.

I consider assisted suicide is where misery loves company and it is sad that they are dragging someone else down with them because they leave and the person remaining spends life in prison. If that isn't miserable, I don't know what is. No, it shouldn't be legalized. God is the only one who has the right to say yes or no. I know you are from England and most of England rejects most religions but it needs to stay illegal there.

No.

As Christians, we believe that human life is a sacred gift from God to be cherished and respected because every human being is created in the image and likeness of God (Genesis 1:26).

In heeding God’s command, "Thou shall not kill" (Exodus 20:13), we recognize that we cannot end of our lives or the lives of others as we please. We must respect and protect the dignity of human from the moment of conception to the moment of natural death.

Both euthanasia and assisted suicide violate God's commandment not to kill.

Euthanasia occurs when a doctor or medical staff person administers a lethal dose of medication with the intention of killing the patient.

Assisted suicide occurs when a doctor or medical staff person prescribes a lethal amount of medication with the intent of helping a person commit suicide. The patient then takes the dose or turns the switch.

We also recognize the need for the proper management of pain. Modern medicine provides effective treatments for pain that guarantees that no one will suffer a painful death. No one needs to escape pain by seeking death.

Suicidal wishes among the terminally ill are due to treatable depression similar to that of other suicidal people. If we address their pain, depression and other problems, then there is generally no more talk of suicide.

Repercussions of Assisted Suicide

+ The patient seriously, possibly completely, damages his or her relationship with God.

+ Anyone assisting a suicide gravely endangers his or her spiritual, psychological, and emotional well-being including family members and medical professionals.

+ Corruption of the medical profession: whose ethical code calls on physicians to serve life and never to kill. The American Medical Association, the American Nurses Association, the American Psychiatric Association, and dozens of other medical groups argue that the power to assist in taking patients’ lives is "a power that most health-care professionals do not want and could not control.”

+ Society will more and more disregards the dignity of human life.

Possible Corruptions

+ Exploitation of the marginalized: The poor, the elderly, minorities, those who lack health insurance would be the first to feel pressure to die.

+ Cost control: Patients with long term or expensive illnesses and considered economic liabilities would be encouraged die.

+ Rebirth of historical prejudices: Many able-bodied people, including some physicians, say they would "rather be dead than disabled." Such prejudices could easily lead families, physicians, and society to encourage death for people who are depressed and emotionally vulnerable as they adjust to life with a serious illness or disability.

For more information, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church, sections 2270 and following: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt3sect2chpt2a...

http://www.americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac0...

Here is a nice article: http://www.the-tidings.com/2009/121809/benson.htm

With love in Christ.

Yes, it should be! Suicide is legal, after all (not that punishment is even possible if it weren't), so a ban on euthanasia amounts to discrimination against those unable to kill themselves without assistance.

Source(s): I'm a fellow Brit

Eh, maybe it's because they don't want people to be going through a tough time and instantly decide to commit suicide.