i need a lot of help changing my computer parts, what do i do and is this processer ok?

i have asked so many questions about this and i am still so so confused. look i'm only 13 i don't know much about computer hardware.my et1331-02 has a sucky graphics card and i want to get a new one and a new psu to run the graphics card.( the current one is an nvidia 6150se integrated card.) my motherboard is an ECS MCP61PM-GM motherboard.

i am getting the rosewill hive 650w continuos psu. i am also getting the hd 6750 graphics card. the thing is i am upgrading the computer. first of all i am not changing the voltage level it will remain at 115v like it is supposed. that is what the emachines site said to do when you are replacing a psu. i just want to put these upgrades in and play my games normally without the computer blowing up on me.how do i keep the computer from breaking down and not becoming too hot. please put the answer in words i can understand. and only answer if you have experience with this stuff. please i want to play swtor badly without any problems. also i have another q. i want to canyourunit.com and it says my processor passed the swtor requirements. it is an amd athlon II x2. however someone told me it has problems with that processor. is that true? please answer this only if you know the answer. i need help really badly and please try to answer ALL of my questions. here are the rest of my specs

http://support.gateway.com/emachines/desktop/2009/...

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

someone mentioning that a game has trouble with a PROCESSOR. sounds fishy (who said this?). i would not upgrade the processor if it is sufficient for your needs.

========upgrading PROCESSOR==========

if you are upgrading the PROCESSOR then make sure it fits into your MOTHERBOARD.

---(from googling) your MOTHERBOARD seems to take Socket K8 PROCESSORS---

---also make sure that the PROCESSOR can reach it's proper/rated CLOCK speed---

the CLOCK speed = FSB speed x multiplier

- most AMD processors seem to allow changing the multiplier but Intel usually has it locked at which point you can only change the FSB (in the bios of course), making the CLOCK speed higher than the rated speed is OVERCLOCKING, which i don't recommend. so you can use different FSB and multiplier settings to reach the same CLOCK.

- the MEMORY and the PROCESSOR both connect to the FSB and it helps performance when PROCESSOR & MEMORY speeds are in sync. generally, it's more desirable to have a higher MEMORY speed than processor speed than the other way around, because memory can be accessed by more than just the PROCESSOR. their relation is also known as the FSB:DRAM ratio (MEMORY=DRAM). if their speed is 1:1 then it's in sync but also at 2:4, as long as one side is divisible by the other, so 3:2 isn't and the FSB is higher than the DRAM which would probably be undesirable. but these days you see a lot of strange ratios.

- CPU-Z is a nice free program for windows to look your current speed settings and find out the name of your ram it even shows the kind of MEMORY/PROCESSOR/MOTHERBOARD installed and the current FSB:DRAM ratio and the PROCESSOR Socket. it can help you decide what the right MEMORY, as a reference. (i use it a lot)

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

(it's usually possible to CLOCK things down so too fast MEMORY is not much of an issue just more expensive. i find that multi-core PROCESSORS make the system more responsive. most motherboards have acceptable default settings for PROCESSOR and MEMORY so you don't usually have to touch these)

==========heat==========

- a "new in the box"/"retail" processor usually comes with a fan, which should be enough to keep it cool.

- on your MOTHERBOARD you can install 2 case fans, that have 3-pin connections. one blowing air out at the back (and one taking air in at the front if your case allows it) is nice. they are cheap and easy to install. you just screw them into the inside of the casing and plug them into the MOTHERBOARD. the bigger 1200rpm fans are usually the more quiet ones.

- sometimes you need to replace the cooler if the GRAPHICS card gets too hot (probably voids warranty, so keep the original fan and it's screws in-case you want to return it). don't go for passive/fan-less cooling with such a high-end card, it just won't be enough.

- Open Hardware Monitor is a nice free tool for windows that seems to monitor all kinds of system temperatures including GRAPHICS card

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

- GPU-Z is a nice free tool for monitoring your GRAPHICS card temps and it's fan speed

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

==========PSU==========

looks like you picked a PSU with enough watts for the hd 6750. and it has two the 6-pin connectors which the card needs. i like the modular/removable cables too (avoids clutter). the voltage of 115V is probably referring to what comes out of the wall sockets in places like America. they were probably referring to the fact that you can't use the power supply that came with your system in places like Europe, where the wall sockets give about 220V. some other PSU's have a button to switch what voltage may enter manually or and some even switch automatically. but this is probably not an issue if you buy it in your country.

==========MOTHERBOARD manual==========

this is one of the disadvantages of using a MOTHERBOARD that came with a pre-made system, usually there is no user manual. MOTHERBOARD manuals usually contain guides with pictures showing the steps of how to insert things, and what every single connector and bios settings are (especially useful if you are doing it the first time). just thought you might want to know for the future. well at least everything is labelled on the MOTHERBOARD (which should be enough).

just thought i'd share what i know.

you can also always email me through my profile here if you have more questions

Source(s): building pc's
  • 9 years ago

Hello, this video will explain how to replace a power supply http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzolRkN7Eew

Youtube thumbnail

Also, you shouldn't have an issue with overheating as long as your radeon's vent isn't blocked by anything. Also for the processor, technically yes, it should be fine, however quad core processors would boost your game's overall performance and you might get a lower framerate with your athlon.... your system seems to be a bit old, it can still function, but if you want to learn more about hardware and computers in general you could purchase a barebones kit (a combo kit containing the parts necessary to build a computer) and search up on the web how to assemble a computer. it's alot easier than it sounds, and it's where i got alot of my computer knowledge. it is also much cheaper. you would benefit from ddr3 ram and a more poerful processor. also, i personally recommend nvidia over amd because they are more power efficient and tend to be quieter and in my opinion perform better.

• 4 years ago

that's greater effective than probably a compatability subject between the motherboard and cpu or an overheating subject. examine the MB documentation to make helpful that a Pentium D is properly suited with that distinctive motherboard. no longer all Intel-based boards help all Intel socket 775 chips. additionally examine the processor for over heating.

• 9 years ago

your upgrades wont produce a large amount of heat so you shouldnt have any overheating problems if you arent doing serious gaming. so you should be just fine. as for the game having a problem with your processor, i dont know about that. i have never played that game before.

Source(s): i like to build computers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.