download and speed test?

hey,

when i go to www.speedtest.net and test my speed it tells me my internet connection is 12MB/s

but when i download anything (like a game or whatever) it says its much less than 1mb/s..

is speedtest lying or what is the problem?

thanks

Favorite Answer

Don't get confused by bits and bytes.

Sites like speedtest tell you your speed in bits (b) per second, or 12 megabits per second in your case.

But when you download in Windows the box tells you your download rate in bytes (B).

There are 8 bits in one byte so the absolute max download rate you will get (at 12Mb/s) will be 1.5 MB/s.

But it will be slower than this because of "overheads" which means the extra stuff which goes up and down the line to maintain the connection and track any errors.

• RAK

Speedtest has nothing to gain by lying so I doubt it.

Most ISPs offer "plans" that encapsule upload/download speeds so check the speeds that your ISP indicates it's providing you. Generally download speeds are slower than upload speeds though the drop you are indicating does sound drastic. Another thing may be if the connection being used is wired or wireless as signal for wireless can often drift or experience interference. Not to mention your ISP's can control the speed and also consider the download site ultimately controls speeds for download. Perhaps the download you were attempting is from slower or busy servers.

And if you were running speedtest while attempting to download a file from a different site you actually had two servers feeding your system information at the same time, so the slowing could actually have been introduced by that.

I will help you,First know this

8bits =1Byte,So your connection is 12Mbps and the speed you getting is 1MBps so it's really Good speed for your connection,your connection speed is 12Mbps means the speed in MBps is 12/8 =1.5MBps so speed is Good,you can check the speed at here http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ it shows speed in Mbps and MBps.