Jim
Jim asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 8 years ago

What is a good recipe for fried fish?

What is your recipe for tasty, crunch and delicious fried fish? I would like a batter recipe that comes out tasty, crunchy and flakey while the fish is flaky on the inside. Any spices in particular that you use? What fish have you tried? What do you serve on the side with the fried fish?

Thank you RJS! That's really detailed. I gotta try that one!

Favorite Answer

>Hi Jim!

What I do is I get a large, 1 gal ziplock bag.

2 - 3 cups of stone ground corn meal

2 - 3 cups of fine white flour

1 - 2 tablespoons of salt

2 tablespoons black 18 mesh cracked pepper

1 tsp of garlic granules

I shake this all together.

1 large skillet, fill with canola oil to about 2/3rds of an inch and bring up on high, but not smoking. Use a pinch of the mixture above and when it starts buzzing around in the pan, you know the oil is at the right temperature.

In the mean time, take 1 - 2 lbs of frozen cod fillets or red rock fish. Cutting the fish frozen is easier to handle and cut than when unthawed. I cut the fish into 2" strips so I get about 15 pieces or so per lb. I dunk all the fish pieces in water and then throw them into the ziplock bag and coat them real quick. Believe me, this does a better job than using eggs and it doesn't add any cholesterol. I then fry the fish until the bubbles stop coming out of the pieces and they sort of float a little and are golden brown.

I searve this with home made french fries I cut from fresh potatoes and bake in my oven with minced garlic, onion powder, and some chili powder to make tasty fries.

I also make cole slaw fresh - so our family has a huge bowl of freshly grated cole slaw - cabbage, carrots and sometimes red radish. I make my own sweet cole slaw sauce in a blender.

Hope this helps!

Here is the lightest, crunchiest one I know....

Tempura Batter

The thing that makes the batter heavy is the gluten. Do not over mix or add the wet and dry ingredients until the oil is up to temp. You will have enough for a good two batches.

1 cup vodka (less water to produce the gluten)

1/2 cup club soda

1/2 cup water

1 1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup corn starch

Dip and let the excess drain off a bit, salt after they cook. Honestly, this is the best recipe I have come across thus far. Its very light and doesn't absorb the grease.

I honestly like the light, sweet taste of fresh water fish. Walleye, lake perch, or trout is some amazingly tasty fish.

With the taste of that batter and good fish, the only spice I use is salt on the fish. I get more flavor to compliment it, from making the tarter sauce. I use mayo, garlic powder, dill pickle, a bit of juice, and lots of chives or green onions, using more of the green than the white. Sprinkle the lemon just before each bite, dip it in the tarter, and it stays so crunchy. The fish pretty much stands alone, it just gets better with those accompanying flavors.

• RSJ

I make this one often- the fish comes out great and I love the sauce:

Fish Tacos

From allrecipes By: BREESE823

"I'm from San Diego and these taste just like home! We live in the south now, and nobody has heard of these! Serve with homemade pico de gallo, and lime wedges to squeeze on top!"

Yield 8 servings

Ingredients

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1 cup beer

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 lime, juiced

1 jalapeno pepper, minced

1 teaspoon minced capers

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

1 quart oil for frying

1 pound cod fillets, cut into 2 to 3 ounce portions

1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas

1/2 medium head cabbage, finely shredded

Directions

To make beer batter: In a large bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Blend egg and beer, then quickly stir into the flour mixture (don't worry about a few lumps).

To make white sauce: In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Gradually stir in fresh lime juice until consistency is slightly runny. Season with jalapeno, capers, oregano, cumin, dill, and cayenne.

Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

Dust fish pieces lightly with flour. Dip into beer batter, and fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Lightly fry tortillas; not too crisp. To serve, place fried fish in a tortilla, and top with shredded cabbage, and white sauce.

Enjoy!

Calimari with garlic lemon or lemon butter sauce. and marinara.

Source(s): every damn day. and olive garden

add some ketchup

Source(s): none