Is it wrong that I be disgusted with the confederate flag?

I have asked a previous question on why people choose to display and was met with combat basically labeling me as ignorant, intolerant, uninformed hypocritical, etc.. why is this? From what I've seen it's very core stands for hate. Does the majority of people really think that that flag simply stands for southern pride? and that I am an evil person for not supporting?

Favorite Answer

Obviously it represents different things to different people. I do not hold asnyu banner over myself or my property, but when I see a confederate flag in today's world, I think southern rock music and rebellion.

It was wrong of them to act like you're ignorant or anything, but it stood for a lot more than 'southern pride'. Like General Lee, I'm glad that the Union won(yes, Robert E. Lee said he was happy that the north won) because it abolished slavery QUICKER. Again like Lee, I don't agree with the federal sovereignty ideals. I believe states should rule unto themselves and the federal government should always take a back seat in politics.

It's not about hate to everyone who displays it(I don't display it--it's on the cover of a story I'm writing, but so is the American flag). It's about a heritage, a political ideology, and a means towards coming closer to achieving a truly sovereign country by allowing each member to be sovereign unto itself. Where I work, in a small town in southern Texas, there are black people who display it. There's occasionally a short rally where about a dozen pickups meet at one end of town and drive to the other, all covered with, and flying, the Confederate flag.

There are many, though, who use it as a symbol of hate, and they ruin it for the rest who fly it.

It's not wrong... it's weird. You shouldn't be disgusted with the flag itself, it's done no wrong. Only the meaning and the people who support the meaning of the flag should hold your disgust.

• I learned as a child in school that the war and flag was all about the war between the states and not about black and white. Would someone please tell me was my history book and teachers all wrong?

glry

I suppose your disgust is directed toward the Confederate "battle flag"....otherwise known as the "Stars and Bars".......The actual flag of the Confederacy looks very similar to Old Glory.......the Stars and Bars was used on the battlefield to avoid confusion.

The Civil War ended almost 150 years ago, I doubt your fretting will change the outcome. Channel your energy into something useful.

Source(s): "Those who forget the mistakes of history are condemned to repeat them."- George Santayana

is it wrong i find the united states flag offensive

i really don't,but the usa hasn't played nice in the past century

I am from the southern part of the US... but the flag isn't just "southern pride". It represents racism, which IS disgusting.

• I agree with you. "Southern Pride" right, try bringing back slavery and see what will happen.

Source(s): n

You are entitled to your opinion.

Source(s): a

It does stand for southern pride and nothing more. I guess you just have to be from the south to understand our reverence.