will smoking weed effect the antibiotics im on?

I was wondering because i went to the doctor for a sinus infection, and he prescribed me antibiotics.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Just a little addition to Kenneth's answer. Marijuana can also interfere with Vitamin C absorption which plays a role in the body's immunity and overall cellular health. Smoking Marijuana can definitely interfere with the body's ability to heal and stay healthy due to the aforementioned vitamin absorption issues as well as the fact that smoking anything can irritate the sinus' and the rest of the respiratory tract.

Anitbiotics kill all the good and bad bacteria in the body. The "good" bacteria (flora) in your gut actually assist in synthesizing certain vitamins (like vitamin K and some vitamin B's) thus if you are to take a round of antibiotics without supplementing with probiotics (i.e. acidopholus) and Vitamin K and B-complex, you are perpetuating the cycle of lowering the immunity and becoming sick!

1. stop smoking marijuana while sick

2. take acidopholus or other probiotic supplements

3. take VItamin K and Vitamin B complex

4. If you choose to continue using marijuana after you have fully recovered, use a vaporizer, or edibles, much easier on the body and far less irritating.

Good luck and feel better!

Source(s): American College of Healthcare Sciences Been there, done that.
  • 8 years ago

Will it directly interact with the antibiotics and cause their level to dramatically rise or fall? No. There's no big CYP liver enzyme induction or inhibition from marijuana that I'm aware of. On the other hand, it may still delay your recovery. That smoke will irritate and dry out our sinus cavities and may tend to suppress some aspects of the immune system. It may even be one of the factors that led to the sinus infection in the first place, especially if there was mold or pollen in the weed which triggered an allergic response. I would give the smoking a rest for a week or so.

• Laural
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awsD6

You get high and then you'll get the munchies. That is all. Take your meds with a full glass of water 2 hours before or after food. So if you smoke right after the pills and get the muchies, you still need to wait 2 hours and thats a long time if your hungry. Plus time is longer when youre high. To be on the safe side, wait 2 hours after you take the pills to eat and smoke.

• Grace
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

There really isn't any effect I got my wisdom teeth out a couple weeks ago and they prescribed me the same antibiotic and after a couple of days of taking the medicine I smoked a joint.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Maybe. Lay off the weed for the time you're on it (probably not too long) just in case. I don't think it would actually effect it much, but you never know.

• 8 years ago

No. Most likely not.

Weed is inhaled, the antibiotics aren't. There's a difference.

• 3 years ago

It is possible, however I'm not convinced

• kartua
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

NO!!!

Source(s): Native American Shaman
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.