My newborn got burned with an IV in the hospital in fountain valley ca. does anyone have a similar story?

• Racine
    Favorite Answer

An I.V. burn is also known as infiltration, and it produces a nasty chemical burn that can take months to heal and leaves a scar. I was curious about it. I found a similar story of another mom and will include her post, but had not heard of it before. She was very alarmed at the "burn" and began researching and discovered, according to her, that it happens due to negligence on the part of the hospital staff.

They have a responsibility to monitor IV's in small babies very closely because they have no way of communicating their discomfort. I'd look into it further if I were you, and arm myself with facts. If it is negligence, if you cannot pursue it legally, you can at least write letters and be very vocal. I would be very upset if it happened to my newborn!

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to your dear baby! As if they don't have enough to deal with, and us, the new parents! I pray your baby's wounds heal quickly. If you have decided to breastfeed, that will help so much, to provide healing factors, live white blood cells from you to boost immunity and prevent infection, provide emotional comfort for both of you, and aid in your own postpartum recovery

Good luck and best wishes with your precious new baby.

Source(s): http://www.shareyourstory.org/webx/.ef552a5 breastfeeding peer counselor mother of 3.

Obviously the "breastfeeding counselor" has a thing or two to learn about IV infiltration. It is NOT ALWAYS caused by negligence of the hospital staff.

Can you see what is happening on the inside of your veins by looking through your skin? Of course you cannot...neither can the nurses.

There is a RISK to ANY IV...infiltration is a risk.

When we start an IV, we flush it with normal saline to see if we see any signs of blanching, bubbling, any sign that the vein has 'blown"...if it hasn't, then we know we have a good access line before we hook up medication.

The problem is, NOBODY can predict how long the vein will hold out. Some medical conditions will cause some veins to break down more than others and when the infiltration starts, you cannot see it until enough of the medication has leaked around the vein to cause that area to swell...THEN you can see that it has infiltrated.

• david

That doesn't make sense. IVs aren't hot. Maybe you'd like to share some more details?

I'd like to know how that happened since iv's don't produce heat.