Collecting Magic the Gathering cards?

When I was a kid, I loved to buy those pokemon and yu-gi-oh booster packs and collect as many cards as I can. While I've stopped that long ago, I've recently been looking at Magic the Gathering cards. I'm considering collecting Magic the Gathering cards, however I would have absolutely no use for them. I don't have any friends that play mtg, the closest FNM near me is around 30 minutes away, which I cannot access as I can't drive, still 15 years old, and along that I don't have that much money to constantly buy decks and booster packs.

So, my question is this. Is it worth it to begin collecting mtg cards when I have such a small amount of money and absolutely no practical use for them? I'm worried that collecting will become somewhat unpractical as I know mtg makes frequent expansions and I'm not sure I could keep up with all of them.

As a side note, I'm interested in collecting mtg cards for the artwork. I know how to play mtg, and I also enjoy the functions of various creatures, spells, and equipment, but for the most part I just love the artwork in the magic cards.

Also, whats the best booster packs to open now? Innistrad or Core 2012?

Favorite Answer

You could save up some money then continue to collect them. Try to find friends online who like to play mtg.

• marro

Collecting Magic Cards

You won't find enough expensive cards to make up for the amount you spend on packs and such. You might get lucky and a card will skyrocket because it's part of a tournament deck or something.

If you really want to do something, try MTGO. Cards usually cost much less on there than in real life and you can redeem sets for physical cards, and the physical cards might be worth many times what you paid for them on MTGO.

The only real way to make money with Magic is becoming so good playing it that you win tournaments and such.

its worth to collect MTG, not to mention the art work is so cool compare to other card game, and even if you don't play, just collect, some people are doing the same thing... also in MTG, even with old card, you can still play with them when you get older, there are some event that let you use any card available in MTG to your deck... so even as a old card, its still in value and you can still play with them...

as far as best booster packs for art, on my point of view, innistrad got a really good artwork right now, there are some good art in M12 as well...

Collect innastrad, the artwork is really cool and if you go to the Mtg website there is a section called daily mtg and the is a column called savor the flavor. In this column, there is like a backstory to the cards and it is very cool way to get a feel for the cards

• Devius

Well, since you are only collecting for the artwork, I don't think you need to worry about expansion packs, just buy whatever you like. And you don't need to buy decks and boosters, just lookup the card on the web and buy them in singles if you want them.

Innistrad is better IMO. You can get two rares or mythics if you're lucky(one from the flip card). It also has snapcaster mages and other more valuable rares. M12 is better in the mythic department but since you rarely pull of mythics, I prefer innistrad better.

If your after artwork go for inistrad. The core set isn't as worried about the art as the gameplay. Expansions are much more fun and artistic IMO as the pictures are less redundant. Since you're not going to have as much use for them go for inistrad.

But!!! You could try Magic: the Gathering Online. The constant questioning of, "do you want to look at the field" can be annoying, but you get to play the game online.

Source(s): 6.5 years playing magic the gathering

If all you care about is the artwork.. you can view that online. Save your money and get something you can actually use.

• Susan

No matter how much time has gone by, NOT ALL MAGIC CARDS GO UP IN VALUE!!!!