Collecting Magic the Gathering cards?

When I was a kid, I loved to buy those pokemon and yu-gi-oh booster packs and collect as many cards as I can. While I've stopped that long ago, I've recently been looking at Magic the Gathering cards. I'm considering collecting Magic the Gathering cards, however I would have absolutely no use for them.... show more When I was a kid, I loved to buy those pokemon and yu-gi-oh booster packs and collect as many cards as I can. While I've stopped that long ago, I've recently been looking at Magic the Gathering cards. I'm considering collecting Magic the Gathering cards, however I would have absolutely no use for them. I don't have any friends that play mtg, the closest FNM near me is around 30 minutes away, which I cannot access as I can't drive, still 15 years old, and along that I don't have that much money to constantly buy decks and booster packs.

So, my question is this. Is it worth it to begin collecting mtg cards when I have such a small amount of money and absolutely no practical use for them? I'm worried that collecting will become somewhat unpractical as I know mtg makes frequent expansions and I'm not sure I could keep up with all of them.

As a side note, I'm interested in collecting mtg cards for the artwork. I know how to play mtg, and I also enjoy the functions of various creatures, spells, and equipment, but for the most part I just love the artwork in the magic cards.
Update: Also, whats the best booster packs to open now? Innistrad or Core 2012?