Should I take my cat to a vet?

My cat used to be very happy and normal. But now he won't talk at all unless I hold him and he wants to be let go. He also doesn't want to play as much or go outside anymore. He seems alert if open the door or move a toy around but other than that he doesn't have much interest. And he is acting very shy and intimidated now. His behavior seems to have changed after another cat showed up outside. I used to let him outside to wander and he always came to me when I called for him and loved on me when I took him inside. But after that cat started appearing he just stopped coming back to me all the way and even ran off. He doesn't purr anymore and he doesn't seem normal. I can't identify the gender of the other cat but I think it's a boy. I'm worried my cat is depressed or sick. My cat is fixed and has all his shots. He's still a baby only 8 months.

I'm sorry this is so long but my last cat died at only one and 1/2 years of age due to feline leukemia. I really don't wish to lose another one of my cats. He's my second cat and I picked him from the litter. T^T I'm afraid Jiji will have feline leukemia even though he's vaccinated.

Favorite Answer

Even if your kitty was indoors only (which is better for them btw) then a new cat outside could still upset them. Feral unneutered boy cats can spray their urine right on your door, and the smell comes inside (you might not be able to smell it but your cat sure can), and it pisses off any cats living inside. Call your local animal control and see if you can have them set up a cat trap outside your house, they can trap the cat and take it to a shelter instead.

It's not out of the ordinary for your kitty to be getting very upset about this new cat. Here Jiji was used to being able to run all over the place outside your house, and now this new cat showed up? Now this NEW cat is taking over all the territory outside, and Jiji is left with pretty much just the inside as his territory. Anytime he goes outside he risks getting in a fight with that damn feral cat out there.

Call animal control and get a trap set up, it'll be much better for your kitty that way. Also, make sure Jiji is kept INDOORS ONLY, at least while the trap is out there. It's almost certainly not going to hurt whichever cat it traps, but it would be annoying having to let your cat out and reset it.

Source(s): Lots of experience with cat traps, and ferals, and domestic cats being upset by ferals

I'm sure it's nothing. The other cat is probably a girl and Jiji is spending time with her. Or your cat has territory issues and wants the other one gone. I can't see any type of symptoms of anything medical.

• Laurie

I a tom is outside he may have frightened your kitten and he no longer wants to go outside. Just give him extra attention, keep him inside ( it's safer) and get him a cat tree or a window seat so he can look outside. He his personality is a drastic change or if he looks sick then he may be. In that case take him to the vet for a check up.

The cat outdoors is more than likely part of the reason your cat is acting up. Boy cats spray, marking their territory, sooo the scent may be making your cat act up. If you are scared about them getting sick, you could always take them to the vet.. hope I helped.