Could you recommend a book for me?

I just realised that I haven't read anything in, well...a long time. So if you could suggest something, that would be great!

I really, really love anything involving detectives, but plain murder mysteries would be good too. The last book I even remember reading was "1984". I did enjoy that, too, so anything with negative utopian society would be all right ( so long as it isn't Brave New World; I already plan on getting that one soon enough ).

Thank you in advance!

Best Answer

I second Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. The Shadow of the Wind and Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell are both really wonderful, with their historical setting and novel styles. The Shadow of the Wind especially is also a compelling mystery and fits in quite well with all your requirements.

Neuromancer by William Gibson, Foundation by Isaac Asimov, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card might also interest you. These are all dystopian titles, but cross with other genres- for instance, Neuromancer crosses with cyberpunk and has all the hallmarks of a mystery, while Foundation is the beginning of a science fiction saga of unprecedented scope (and winner of the one-time Hugo award for best all-time series).

For something a little lighter, I've heard good things about the Hunger Games series, which, being dystopian fiction, might interest you too.

Also look out for Phillip K Dick, Neil Gaiman and China Miéville novels.

• ?

a undeniable Slant of light - Laura Whitcomb A Kiss In Time, Beastly, Cloaked - Alex Finn Anna wearing Blood - Blake Blood and Chocolate - Annette Klause service of the Mark - Fallon dark Lover – Ward Falling decrease than - Gwen Hayes Grave Mercy - LaFevers Haven - Kristi prepare dinner Sea Witch - Kantra Sookie Stackhouse sequence - Charlaine Harris Vampire Academy – Mead

I don't really read Murder mysteries but if you don't mind trying out something new, I have some classics to suggest.

Pride And Prejudice

Sense And Sensibility

Wuthering Heights

Jane Eyre

• KC

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut--this one is incredible

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

• ?

Something Wicked by Alan Gratz

The falconer's knot - Mary Hoffman