Have G.E.D., would be transferring from a community college.?

I am a white, 18 year old male. I have my G.E.D. and now currently at a community college with a B (3.0 I think) average. If I get my G.P.A. to 4.0, am a member of the Varsity basketball team along with the Student Senate, and have outstanding reccommendations, what would be chances for acceptance into a military college after I receive my Associate's degree?

I'm looking into Virginia Military Institute or West Point. I do not care if I have to start as a freshman.

My plan is to get my Bachelor's degree in Political Science (concentration in International Affairs if possible), then go career military in the Army. Infantry officer, preferrably.

Getting into a state school in my area is no problem, but I would ideally like to get into a military academy due to the discipline, and preparation for going into the service that I couldn't really get at a public non-military school.

It's good to dream, but I just want a serious answer due to me as a G.E.D. recipient, and a community college transfer. Any details or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Update:

Yeah V.M.I. was one I was looking into. Thanks for the details "CoachT". Definitely will look into those other schools.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • CoachT
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Take a stats or algebra course so that you understand why you can never have a 4.0 GPA once you get any grade lower than an A. It's simply not mathematically possible.

Let's say you have completed 1/4 of your associates degree (1 semester of 15 hours) with a 3.0 GPA. Then let's say that you earn an A on every single class you take from now on.

((3.0 * 15) + (4.0 * 45)) / 60 = GPA

(45 + 180) / 60 = GPA

225 / 60 = GPA

3.75 = GPA

Using those numbers (you can do this using your real numbers) then the best you can do is a 3.75.

But, unless you woke up this morning smarter than you were yesterday or something changed in your world to make college easier - we shouldn't be expecting that your existing GPA will change very much. In other words, you're a B student at this community college.

West Point is probably an extreme stretch. It's possible - just not very likely. One of the six senior military colleges is probably a more realistic shot for you. Consider:

VMI

North Georgia College and State U

Norwich

Texas A&M

The Citadel

Va Tech

Also consider any state U with a decent ROTC program as a good possibility. Some of these aren't all that difficult to get into at all though most won't meet your desire for the military discipline experience.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.