How exactly to envelope wedding invites?

Ok, I've been hearing all about this "inner envelope/outer envelope" stuff, but I never really knew what that was all about until I got my invitations in the mail today.

So, I put the envelope in the inner envelope and then put the entire thing in the outer envelope? Where does the RSVP card and envelope go? Is there a certain way to do all of that? Be as specific as possible.

Also, let me make sure I'm right about this -- you address the outer envelope with "The Smith Family" or whatever and then the only thing written on the inner envelope is the individual people invited, like "John Smith, Jane Smith, and Sally Smith." Is that how it's done?

krissylyn - If they came with instructions, I wouldn't be asking this question. Additionally, I'm not here for a grammar lesson. And finally, with all due respect, you're a b*tch...every single question of mine you've answered has shown how pretentious and just plain rude you are. Don't bother answering any of my questions from this point on.

Favorite Answer

Set invitation on table face up.

Place RSVP and any other cards on top of the invitation in descending size, smallest on top.

The RSVP card should be placed on it's envelope with the flap hanging over (the front of the envelope will be face down).

Once you assembled all these materials, sslide them into the inner envelope so they are face up when your guest pulls them out.

Turn the inner envelope over and write guests names on front.

Slide this into the outer envelope so that the names are face up when your guest pulls it out.

As for addressing, just do what makes sense. I thought you weren't a stickler for rules. The inner envelope provides an opportunity to clarify, repeat, or underscore who exactly is invited (and therefore who is not invited). If "and family" are invited, then yes, you should clarify that with the childrens names inside. If it's a couple with no kids, and therefore no clarification needed, you can either leave the inner blank or use mr & mrs outside with their first names inside. It would be awkward to write each persons first and last name on the inner envelope as you mentioned in your question. Instead, just write "John, jane and Sally" for the smith family.

** Sorry but common sense is wrong on a few things. The RSVP does not go behind the invitation. The inner envelope back flap should be touching the outer envelope front. And, you do not write exactly what was written on the first line of the outer envelope address: the inner envelope serves to further clarify or make it more personal with first names only.

TO ADDRESS ENVELOPEs:

Outer envelope:

You will write out the guests and the address: Mr. and Mrs. John Smith and Family or Mr. John Smith and Guest or Mr. John Smith and Ms. Nancy Jones (for couples without the same last name or who are dating as the "and Guest" is used if you do not know the guests name).

Inner envelope:

Address the same way as the top line of the outer envelope address.

STUFFING ENVELOPES:

Open the inner envelope and place the invitation in the envelope, with the front of the invitation facing the back flap.

Slip the RSVP card inside the back flap of the RSVP envelope (which is self addressed AND stamped), facing the back flap.

Place the RSVP with it's envelope BEHIND the invitation inside the inner envelope.

The inner envelope is then placed inside the outer envelope with the back flap of the inner envelope facing the back of the outer envelope.

Until I started reading Yahoo answers I had never encountered this using multiple envelopes for wedding invitations.

The only time I have seen it , has been when there was an RSVP card with its own envelope included in the invitation. The envelopes were always addressed to the invitees unless it was a family invitation. Then the envelope would be addressed to the couple & the children's names included on the actual invitation.

I live in Australia.

Source(s): LIFE - 58 years

Envelope used in this sense, is not a verb.

Didn't the invites come with instructions? They generally do.