Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 9 years ago

how to handle electronics?

I am a budding electrical hobbyist and undergrad EE many other students in my field have fathers in the field, and have been learning proper safety since they were young. My dad is more of a mechanical technician, so I know the importance of safety but am not familiar with many aspects of it in the electrical field, (specifically low power such as chips). if you have any advise or can reference a good source (preferably cheap or free) that would be awesome.also how can i get proper grounding (discharge myself) in an apartment?

Favorite Answer

The biggest thing to worry about with chips is ESD (electro static discharge). It is best to ground yourself with a wrist strap when working with or handling them. Just make sure the strap is connected to a solid earth ground.

Source(s): Retired Telcom Tech Support Guy

If you are in a relatively modern apartment, you can getound yourself and your ground mat/wrist strap to the ground on a wall receptacle, or your electric breaker panel, or maybe a metallic plumbing pipe.

Part 2 of safety, if you do that, is high voltage on switch mode supplies, or other mains circuits.