Is the Army Accepting New Recruits Right Now?

I'm a junior in high school and I'm planning on joining the Reserves and doing the split option training. I took the ASVAB and got an overall score of 51 (the arithmetic reasoning and mechanics BS dropped me down a lot). My recruiter told me that the Army isn't accepting many applicants right now, but I am still meeting with him. Exactly what type of individual is the Army more open to recruiting at the moment?

Secondly, before any of you believe that by any chance I may be unintelligent..I am very intelligent and received the highest score possible on both writing portions of the Washington State standardized testing..I just am terrible at math.

Best Answer

The mechanical knowledge section of the ASVAB does not count towards your AFQT score at all but it counts for certain MOS'. The best book is Mastering the ASVAB by Scott Ostrow if you work through that book your score will improve. You can improve the mechanical score too. Good luck.

• AD

The mechanics didn't affect your score. The only parts that go towards your overall AFQT are the math and English. A lot of posters are recommending that you retake the ASVAB but retaking the ASVAB just to get a higher ASVAB score when you already qualify to enlist is unauthorized according the AR 601-210, chapter 5-8. You're stuck with your 51 until you enlist and get a chance to take the AFCT, the test that is given after you take GT improvement classes once you're already in uniform.

The Army is always accepting new recruits. The catch is that due to the needs of the Army they will occasionally raise standards if they don't need that many people to enlist. For the most part that's causing a lot of people who would have been eligible to enlist four years ago not to be eligible today. People with felony or drug convictions are being denied enlistment as well as some people who need waivers.

As for you, if your overall goal is Reserves then keep doing what you're doing. On the other hand, if your overall goal is active duty then DO NOT enlist into the Reserves thinking that you can just switch over to active once you finish basic and are in your senior year. That might have worked five years ago but it's not working today. Active duty just doesn't need the people and your request will most likely be denied even if your Reserve unit approves it.

Source(s): On recruiting duty.

The mechanics portion of the asvab Did not drop your score down becouse the asvab bases the AFQT score on the first five sections only. Study the math, general science, and english to get a better score on the asvab, you should aim for at LEAST a 65. But you're only a junior in highschool so you have time. The Army always takes guys, just be qualified

Get an asvab study guide and redo the asvab. You can improve your math score if you study for it. If you are in high school, see if a math teacher will review the study guide with you. Trust me, a higher score will lead the recruiter to say that there are more openings.

While it may not be authorized to retake the asvab, it can be done. You can even retake the asvab when you enter the military so that you can reclass later on into a job that requires a higher asvab score. It never hurts to try to shoot a little bit higher. If you settle for a job that you do not like, you will be stuck with it for the duration of your initial enlistment.

Perhaps there are no openings in the Army Reserve so try the Army National Guard. The Reserves are a smaller force but the Guard is much bigger therefore there are more job opportunities available. Talk to a Guard recruiter (different from Army recruiter) and provide them with your overall ASVAB scores and see what happens.

• ?

It is not only the Army however all branches are slowing down and are extra choosy on who they'll enable within the offerings. They are drawing down and decreasing the quantity of lively obligation as good. Regulations on promotions and time in regulates if you'll reenlist or now not. Many who're sitting at 10 years and nonetheless an E5 and hoping to decide upon up E6 earlier than 12 years is also watching at different employment quickly. It is fitting extra of a reduce throat than earlier than. Hope you may have a blank list, so you'll provide them anything.

The military is always accepting more people... recruits are like a flowing river as soldiers leave new ones take their place.

When the military needs fewer recruits they simply reduce the replacement rate... like instead of a 1 for 1 rate they take in 1 for every 2 that leave. But they never stop recruitment altogether.

Dude I'm gonna lay it out to you. He basically told you that if you aren't willing to do it on your freaking own, then how can he depend on you to do it on your freakin own if you got signed up. Sound familiar, Mr.?..

I know it does and what you need is a kick in the butt. You need to study, ask for a tutor to help you on the mental stuff. You also need to start working out like you can rip through anything, including long runs (5-10 miles, whatever you can handle), weights-hit them like you own the whole set. Then and only then do you approach the military. Understand Mr.

Failure is not an option.

Laura, (classified, but always looking)

As far as I know--they dont need many more people-look at all the events in the world. Over time, you should just keep watching iy and keep trying.I think, right now; they are only accepting the very best and I would just sit back and watch it all for awhile--u have time.