Faith asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Becoming a Fish and Game Warden?

I'm a high school girl, and I'm seriously looking into become a fish and game warden. I've been told I'd do great...and it would definitely be my dream job. Is that a realistic enough career? Or would it be extremly hard to find a job? I need advice. And not the, "Follow your dreams and you can do annnyyythiinngg" kind of advice, ya know? I don't wanna go to college for 4 years and then not be able to find a job. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

It is one of those jobs where it is best to know someone in the field already. At your age, take an interest, do any internship or volunteer work you can find, and get to know people in the field. Then continue with the schooling and you'll have a better change of landing a job.

Faith:

It's realistic.

Advice:

1. Contact your local game warden and see if you can do a ride-along.

2. Contact your state's agency and find out what education they prefer.

3. Don't limit your "net" to your state.

4. They will not hire you just because you have a degree, plan on trying to get on with them working temp jobs in the summer. If that doesn't work, volunteer. You'll have a MUCH better chance if they know you and some body can recommend you as a hard working intelligent person.

Good luck -been there done that.

• J.W.

Requirements to become a game warden and how you become a game warden depends on the agency that you want to work for. Visit the websites of the agencies that you might want to work for. Agency websites often provide information about their applicant requirements, about how to apply, and about their hiring process. Getting a college degree is one of the best things that you can do. Many law enforcement agencies require or prefer applicants to have college. Having a degree could help you get hired by some agencies. Some agencies pay their officers more if they have a college degree. Having a degree could also help you get promoted during your career. Agronomy, animal science, biology, communications, criminal justice, environmental science, fisheries/wildlife biology, conservation biology, forestry, forest management, natural resource management, range management, range science, agricultural science, zoology, ecology are some majors that you might want to consider. If you are interested in animals and/or the outdoors and law enforcement, you might want to also consider titles such as animal cruelty investigator, humane law enforcement officer, and park ranger. You might be interested in federal jobs such as Uniformed Law Enforcement officer for the United States Forrest Service or Special Agent, Wildlife Inspector for the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, or Special Agent for the Environmental Protection Agency. Consider local, state, and federal jobs

look for a guy called grand master basser he is a game warden in california