Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 8 years ago

Why does the GOP accuse OBAMA of trying to fundamentally changing America?

When I think back to my high school days, something said by my history teacher always stuck with me.

"America", he said "would prefer to let 99 people go free rather than allow 1 innocent person to be wrongly imprisoned (and lose their rights)."

"The Soviet Union (that was the topic) would prefer to wrongly imprison 99 innocent people rather than let one guilty one go free".

I think of this when I hear what the GOP is doing with their Voter ID Laws.

The GOP would rather deny access to the polls to 99 eligible voters in their effort to stop 1 ineligible one.

To me? That sounds like a "Fundamental Change in what is America".

What do you think?

@Dave:

My grandmother is 87 years old, She has voted in every election for as long as she can remember.

She never worked.

She does not have a photo ID.

She does not have a birth certificate (she was born at home).

She has gone to the same voting hall for 50+ years.

This year, she will be unable to vote.

@Luv2Answer: What you do not understand, is if today it is my Grandmother, then tomorrow it could be your grandmother, and the day after it could be you.

Favorite Answer

The GOP is trying to make Obama look bad. If Obama supports a republican idea (which he has) then they distance themselves from it and say it is wrong even though they came up with it. The GOP is currently trying to make the Tea Party type people happy because they changed the power of Congress in 2010. They think that if they make them happy then they will win everything, what they don't realize is that the majority of americans are not crazy.

The GOP is trying to implement their religious ideas (which arn't even true christianity) and their no government involvement ideology (which laws like this actually goes against this mentalilty) because they hate everyone but themselves (and tbh they even hate eachother).

THe GOP is fundamentally different from its origins and anything that goes against their current ideas of big business first will be attacked.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): Political Science Student At Siena College
  • Dave

"I think of this when I hear what the GOP is doing with their Voter ID Laws.

The GOP would rather deny access to the polls to 99 eligible voters in their effort to stop 1 ineligible one."

why do you think this? how does requiring someone to show ID when they vote to prove that they are who they say they are keeping people from voting legetamently? it appears to me that it will only stop people from voting multiple times under different names, and because they don't have to show ID they could easily get away with it.

EDIT:

and for your "Why does the GOP accuse OBAMA of trying to fundamentally changing America?" the first reason that comes to mind is because Obama has said he is.

• J P

Nice speech, but let's review the facts. The States that are passing these laws offer State issued IDs for free. And, if you still show up without an ID you can still vote, casting a provisional ballot.

It's all about controlling the government Obama is a Demicrat so they're trying to make him look bad so they can win more elections. P.S. to me the part about the soviet union sound more like america to me then the part about america

So what you are also saying is that you don't mind if an illegal walks into a polling place, claims to be your grandmother by just providing her name, and then voting illegally. . . because they didn't have to show an id. Right?!

So you don't know??? He's a combination of Muslim, Communist and universal church and that mixed up identity he has is messing up America. He's making many stupid mistakes which could lead to the terrorists taking over or the nation going totally bankrupt.

@Cory:

You have somewhat legitimate arguments, but for the record the constitution is not perfect. It's vague at best, and leaves us very much at the mercy of how our politicians (usually the GOP) interpret it.

I think it has to do with his Healthcare bill. It wi crumble businesses. Maybe because of NDAA it is a Nazi act. Maybe because he is spending more money than Bush and will ruin the dollar? Maybe it is because he said that the constitution is imperfect...