Who wrote the Bible (or any chapters in it)?

As a curious Christian, I feel I should have some sort of understanding that a complete lunatic didn't just write each chapter of the Bible one night. Sorry if my question comes across as ignorant- I'm just a tad confused. :/ Thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

About 40 authors.

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy = Moses - 1400 B.C.

Joshua = Joshua - 1350 B.C.

Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel = Samuel/Nathan/Gad - 1000 - 900 B.C.

1 Kings, 2 Kings = Jeremiah - 600 B.C.

1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah = Ezra - 450 B.C.

Esther = Mordecai - 400 B.C.

Job = Moses - 1400 B.C.

Psalms = several different authors, mostly David - 1000 - 400 B.C.

Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon = Solomon - 900 B.C.

Isaiah = Isaiah - 700 B.C.

Jeremiah, Lamentations = Jeremiah - 600 B.C.

Ezekiel = Ezekiel - 550 B.C.

Daniel = Daniel - 550 B.C.

Hosea = Hosea - 750 B.C.

Joel = Joel - 850 B.C.

Amos = Amos - 750 B.C.

Obadiah = Obadiah - 600 B.C.

Jonah = Jonah - 700 B.C.

Micah = Micah - 700 B.C.

Nahum = Nahum - 650 B.C.

Habakkuk = Habakkuk - 600 B.C.

Zephaniah = Zephaniah - 650 B.C.

Haggai = Haggai - 520 B.C.

Zechariah = Zechariah - 500 B.C.

Malachi = Malachi - 430 B.C.

Matthew = Matthew - A.D. 55

Mark = John Mark - A.D. 50

Luke = Luke - A.D. 60

John = John - A.D. 90

Acts = Luke - A.D. 65

Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon = Paul - A.D. 50-70

Hebrews = unknown, mostly likely Paul, Luke, Barnabas, or Apollos - A.D. 65

James = James - A.D. 45

1 Peter, 2 Peter = Peter - A.D. 60

1 John, 2 John, 3 John = John - A.D. 90

Jude = Jude - A.D. 60

Revelation = John - A.D. 90

http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-authors.html

The Voice

• Login to reply the answers
  • mr M
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

There is good evidence that the first five books of the Bible were written around 1400 BCE. They were written by a very literate person. The author was very familiar with ancient Near East treaties, because the Pentateuch was written in Suzerainty/Vassal treaty form. The author had an in depth knowledge of Israeli culture and history and Egyptian culture and history. The author was a man of means who had the time to write such a large collection of books. If they were not written by Moses they were written by someone with a very similar background.

You should read 'From the Stone Age to Christianity', written by one of the greatest Near Eastern archeologists of the 20th century, W. F Albright. He was originality a skeptic of the Bible, but after decades of study he wrote in the above book, "There is nothing but prejudice against the documents of the Old and New Testaments." No surprise, there is now plenty of prejudice against Albright.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Don't worry, you are curious and seeking answers! There is nothing wrong with your question :)

The Bible was written over a period of 1,600 years by more than 40 writers from all walks of life. Some were fishermen; some were politicians. Others were generals or kings, shepherds or historians. They were from three different continents, and wrote in three different languages. They wrote on hundreds of controversial subjects yet they wrote with complete agreement and harmony. They wrote in dungeons, in temples, on beaches, and on hillsides, during peacetime and during war. Yet their words sound like they came from the same source. This makes the Bible extremely unique in its continuity: If just 10 people today were picked who were from the same place, born around the same time, spoke the same language, and made about the same amount of money, and were asked to write on just one controversial subject, they would have trouble agreeing with each other. However, the Bible stands alone as God picked 40 different people to write the Bible, and they wrote in complete harmony. This reveals that all Scripture is inspired by God (2 Timothy 3:16).

I hope you found this information useful, and that it helped to answer your question. If you would like to discuss this topic further, or need further clarity on my answer, feel free to email me at greatestgrace714@yahoo.com.

Grace and peace,

GreatestGrace714

Source(s): The Evidence Bible by Ray Comfort
  • Bob L
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Of the 66 Books of the Bible, there are 40 scribes (writers).

They wrote over a period of about 1,500 years, and all continue on the identical major themes of the Bible.

That points to a single "author," the Holy Spirit.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

good question i think john wrote john luke also matthew also but i cannot answer for proverbs corinthians acts revelations deuterony others also are there many versions of this book all different? gives a lot of speculation and helps promote preachers who think they understand it and translate it the way they want it tobe leaving too much doubt for me i only read what i think i understand for example in the beginning there was and so on and so forth very simple to make sense of but the other parables like rivers turning like blood and strange comments like pilars of salt and someone telling someone to sacrifice a poor little lamb and they cant see that someone causes me to believe they are having auditory hallucinations therefore i navigate away from thatone thing that does make me curious is who put it altogether and decided what went first second beginning and ending some publisher i guess what say you?natural disbelief in many aspects of the book and its chronilogical order

• gimple
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

The Bible itself says: “adult men spoke from God as they have been borne alongside by potential of holy spirit.” (2 Peter a million:21) for occasion: A businessman could have a secretary write a letter. That letter is composed of the businessman’s recommendations and training. subsequently, that's his letter, no longer the secretary’s. in a matching way, the Bible is composed of God’s message, no longer that of the adult men who wrote it down. for this reason, the total Bible easily is “the notice of God.” interior the Bible passages which you secure on your question, God commanded those acts to ensue, and for a reason. whilst Jehovah surpassed judgments on countries of folk, and commanded all to be killed even females and infants, he replaced into waiting to be certain their innermost intentions and motives, additionally their potentials. hence, he could desire to deem them in super condition to stay or die. besides, because of the fact that he's the "giver of life", he additionally has a applicable to take life faraway from anybody he chooses, besides the undeniable fact that, he will never pass judgement with out giving adequate warning.

• 8 years ago

That is the question, isn't it?

edit:

Nonsense. The Bible is a conglomeration of plagiarized stories of old and expanded fairy tales. Nothing more.

• 8 years ago

Power hungry men.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.