Anybody else believe Steven Gerrard is actually underrated?

This is coming from a forest fan. This is going to sound weird but the only reason why people think he is overrated is because he is English, and people have this belief that every English player with talent is overrated. There is no English player in the current generation that has the footballing brains and technical abilities of Steven Gerrard. He never came in the top 3, of the world player awards when actually he deserved it. I mean even David Beckham has came in the top three!!!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Steven Gerrard is not really a technical nor brainy footballer like say Messi. English football is more about passion and endeavour and Gerrard is very much an "English Player". He inspires and leads by example . It would be great to see what kind of player he would have been had come through a french football system where technique and brains seem a fundamental given. It is interesting that without him on the pitch for almost a year Liverpool have performed with the same level of inconsistency that they displayed with him. Benitez seemed to struggle to provide balance around his unique style.

Istanbul 2005? they say he was single handed in helping Liverpool won the trophy. Didi Hammann who must have influenced a young Gerrard greatly, would have something to say about that. Smicer too.

Personally I would rate Gerrard ahead of all English players he played against or with, bar Rooney. but probably not in the Top10 in the world during that same time. Spain, French, Argentina and parts of Africa all consistently provide us with the very best

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

"the only reason why people think he is overrated is because he is English"

You're absolutely right. Some people think it's impossible for an English player to be technically good. Only Brazilian and Spanish players can be clever or have good technique. The truth is that Gerrard is one of the most gifted footballers of his generation.

• 8 years ago

In my opinion, Gerrard is in the top 5 of the world.

• 8 years ago

He is underrated this season. He had a bad year with injuries and emerging talents overshadowed him. But he is fit now and is still capable of changing games. I mean did you watch the match against newcastle ? Liverpool played better after he came on. And this is coming from a United fan lol !

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Rolf
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

The only time i think Gerrard is overrated, is when i want to wind up a Pool fan.

• 8 years ago

No Gerrard is a class player,only an idiot would disagree ........

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

in 2005, Steven Gerrard single handedly won the Champions League. he's local, class and loyal. how many players can u name, what are like that?

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

I agree with you

• 8 years ago

he is as good as frank lampard so i think he is underrated

Source(s): (my feet talk to me) lolz
  • 8 years ago

He's actually overrated.

Source(s): Pele
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.