Easier to install laminate wood flooring or ceramic tile?

Want to try and get this done ourselves what would be easier to install laminate click flooring or ceramic tile ?

If laminate is so easy why do people charge $2.00 a sqft to install it ?

• rick
    Favorite Answer

When it comes to flooring, it doesn't get any easier then laminate flooring. Not even close.

Source(s): remodel contractor

Installing Laminate Tile Flooring

• ?

I live in a large house and debated a long time as to which to put in my kitchen. I did a lot of research and decided the Laminate was the best. The Pieces just fit together like a puzzle. They do not require any caulking or sealing. It is much easier to work with and much easier to stand on in a kitchen. The laminate will not crack like tile either. I did not get the kind that looks like wood or hardwood. I got the 16x16 squares and they look almost like stone. But they are smooth. They are not glossy and do not need to be polished. Just clean with a damp mop.My laminate has a 50 yrs warranty. It can be installed on top of linoleum if it is level The tile is hard to stand on, cold in the winter and will chip and crack. Plus you have to caulk between each one and it is much more difficult to install. Then you have the maintenance of keeping the caulking up. With tile you will have to remove the old floor before you can install it. So tile ends up costing more than the laminated and is not as good for a kitchen. The tile is okay for a bath but not the kitchen. They are only using laminate in the new homes around us and they are 4,000 sq ft homes. There is also a counter top being made of a new stone that is better than granite or corian. It is called Silestone and is beautiful and does not require any polishing or maintence.

Laminate is easier but be sure to follow instructions. The hardest part is cutting along the walls and door frames. Any wood cutting saw will work. (Most laminate require a 3/8" space along the wall to allow for expansion. This space is then covered with quarter round. (which also must be cut)

Ceramic tile (if you do it right) requires a cement based sub floor to be installed over a wood floor. The tile is then glued on with troweled on adhesive. Then there is the matter of cutting the tile. Most people don't have a wet saw and have to rent it. After the tile is all glued down, wait 24 hours for the adhesive to dry then grout the whole floor.

Laminate flooring is easier but it's not as durable, if you get it to wet you can ruin it. I know a few people who installed laminate floor and ended up removing it and putting in real wood. Ceramic tile is harder but if you watch some instructional videos and ask for assistance at the hardware store you should be fine. You can rent the machines (saw, etc) needed to lay the tile and there are products designed for beginners.

• Steven

The wood floor. I have a friend that does tile and I thought it was easy. I was wrong it takes a skill set that you get by doing it as an apprentices for a while.

With a wood floor you may not even have to take up what there is now as long as it is not tile or carpet. You just need a wood subs-trait to nail to. You can't really apply it strait to concrete. Well you could but it would not look good or last.

• JohnB.

Laminate click flooring is easier. Both usually need floor surface preparation. Tile must be laid out accurately and thinset spread on the surface. If the thinset is too wet or too dry then a problem occurs. The gap between the tile pieces needs to be consistent so grout can be used. Once the grout is dry it can be sealed.

• Mike L

Laminate is much easier. Don't skimp on the quality. There are many cheap products that aren't worth the time to install. Plan to pay about $5-8 sq. ft. For a good install plan to pay about $150-250 per room.

• Bob

Laminate is easier than tile but is less durable.

To answer your other question, I am a contractor and I am sorry to inform you that we have expenses as well and would like to make a living if that's OK with you.

I suggest you and your main squeeze crawl around on your knees to do this then tell me how long it took.