E-commerce website question?

i want to create an E-commerce website in a certain business sector. (not willing to state what sector as that would be foolish)....the type of website i want to create is like Amazon, but where people pay a yearly joining fee to join then they get 100% of the profit instead of paying commission, so what im asking is, is there any websites out there that can help me achieve this or would i have to see a website designer/developer? also how much would this cost to run

• Jake
    Favorite Answer

You can probably find a ready made site script that you can use as a starting point, employing a freelancer you can find on odesk, elance, rentacoder, etc. to customize and implement it, with luck in a day's work?

I have doubts that an up-front revenue model will work out, I don't see this very often, perhaps it makes sense for your niche though. You biggest expense may be marketing it both to sellers and buyers, I suspect to reach a critical mass of users you are going to have to offer a generous amount of free service, perhaps not charging for the first 6 months or so, along with a paid branding / advertising campaign I would imagine some significant investment might be made before seeing a profit. Bear in mind, industry leaders in their field like Facebook and Youtube provided free service for years before adding revenue sources.

There are plenty of smaller paid ecommerce site hosts out there, the majority provide the infrastructure to operate a store site but don't help with promotion as Amazon does, identifying the sort of listings and promotion aids that need to be incorporated in the design and to what degree it will be automated may be important.

Hi Dean,

Before you even begin to create a website you need to understand how the world wide web works. Unless you've already done that, this is what I suggest you do.

Grab a cup or glass of your favourite drink, find a place to relax where you won't be disturbed and watch this set of video tutorials on how to set up a web based business. They will show you how the world wide web works and guide you step by step on how you can set up a web based business for yourself. They are also FREE to you. Nothing to pay.

http://www.chrisfarrellmembership.com/hg/?a=FxMMG1...

Best wishes and good luck.

Robert.